• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

MacOS 10.4.11 with Flash player 10.1

Reaction score
I have an 867Mhz Power Book G4, MacOs 10.4.11, uninstalled Flash player, installed Flash Player 10.1, restarted and still get the 'Install latest version of Flash Player' message when I try to play video. Same in Firefox (3.6), Safari and Cmaino. I would appreciate any help. Thanks, JJ.

C

chas_m

If you're sure that you have the latest version of Flash that's available for your (quite old) machine, then ... well, that's it. Your options are to find HTML5 alternatives to the video you want to watch (all the major video services offer this), do without, or upgrade to a new(er) machine that can handle a later version of Flash.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
Yes, 10.1 is the last flash update as far as all PowerPC machines go, not just for 10.4 Tiger.

What websites are you experiencing issues with? I find that flash 10.1 is still widely accepted and supported on most websites. Flash 9 even still works with Youtube for the most part.

OP
J
Reaction score
I get the 'Upgrade to latest version of Flash' message in Firefox (3.6), Safari and Camino, particularly with anything embedded in Facebook. Thanks, Evan.
How do I 'find HTML5 alternatives? I have newer machines, but the G4 Powerbook running Tiger has been the best, most stable and reliable Mac ste-up I have evr had, and just keeps going on and on. It would be a shame to abandon it for the sake of this issue. I have an old G4 Emac that has the same problem, but is still useful, so if I could resolve this problem I could continue to use these machines.
Thanks for your help, guys.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.