another lesson learned !!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMAC 27''MC813X/A 2.7GHz
hi all.

well... after a full week of getting myself deeper in the mire trying to work out why my computer wont convert text to speech, my grand daughter came in last night..sat down to computer and was able to convert immediately!! much to my chagrin. !! when i sat down to do the same, i couldnt do it, the text was put into itunes where it was going before on me.

Then the penny dropped!!! my grand daughter was using safari !! i was using google chrome !! so there you go.

...boy... its been an interesting couple of weeks, i can tell you.

By the way.. i downloaded MacKeeper and im using that. im wondering though... i live in country australia and i registered maxine(computer) against theft. i wonder if it would follow through here successfully?? Does anyone know. its through MacKeeper. judych

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac. Intel Quad Core. 16 GB Ram.
The first thing I would do is uninstall Mackeeper. It's a load of rubbish. You would be better off downloading Clean my Mac.

If you do a search for Mackeeper on this Forum you will see many a comment about it.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMAC 27''MC813X/A 2.7GHz
thanks. will do some reading on it. its being advertised here, thats how i found it.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
thanks. will do some reading on it. its being advertised here, thats how i found it.

Several of us were just discussing that very thing. Unfortunately we have no control over who advertises on the site, but rest assured that MacKeeper would not be here if we could avoid it.

Get rid of it ASAP.

There is a helpful link on how to do an uninstall of MacKeeper. I'll see if I can find it for you, if somebody doesn't post it first.

EDIT: Found it
http://applehelpwriter.com/2011/09/21/how-to-uninstall-mackeeper-malware/

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMAC 27''MC813X/A 2.7GHz
i have to say its really misleading if things like this can go on. im still very new and quite vulnerable. im assuming that joining a forum would give me at least a peace of mind that im in safe territory. something needs to be done. i downloaded the program out of good faith.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i have to say its really misleading if things like this can go on. im still very new and quite vulnerable. im assuming that joining a forum would give me at least a peace of mind that im in safe territory. something needs to be done. i downloaded the program out of good faith.

The best advice I can give is before you download anything that you do two things:

1) Search the threads here on the forums. There are a lot of them warning about MacKeeper
2) Google the APP and see if any reviews or comments pop up

If you have any questions, ask and we will try to help.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMAC 27''MC813X/A 2.7GHz
Thanks, i appreciate your input here. i may need to get back to you regarding deleting it. actually the thought of having to do it, and all that i would have to do, is concerning me at the moment. i may leave it for a time and when im more confident i will get back to you. once again, thanks. judych

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, i appreciate your input here. i may need to get back to you regarding deleting it. actually the thought of having to do it, and all that i would have to do, is concerning me at the moment. i may leave it for a time and when im more confident i will get back to you. once again, thanks. judych

Glad to help. And, I posted a link above on uninstalling. Here it is again in case you missed it.
how to uninstall MacKeeper « Phil Stokes

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMAC 27''MC813X/A 2.7GHz
yep. thanks... got it, im downloading it right now. i did read though the instructions, and will think about it. at this point it doesnt seem too daunting to do.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMAC 27''MC813X/A 2.7GHz
well ive deleted as many files for mackeeper as i could find, but the icon is still on my dock, and i can still click on to it and open the program up. dont know what else to do. i have to ask though... going into ''finder..menubar... ''go'' menu... holding down the ''option ' key... i cant find it.. for some reason. when you say menu bar, im assuming that you mean the bar along the top?? ive been into ''library'' and checked everything out, cant see anything else that pertains to mackeep. it must still be hidden. the fact that the icon is still on the dock suggests this. please, what next?? i do feel like im flying blind here judy

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMAC 27''MC813X/A 2.7GHz
o.k... well ive been deleting as many mackeeper files as i can find. im not finding it easy at all and ive just baulked at getting into where the keychain access is. i did look and my account name is in there. im really frightened of locking everything up and not being able to access computer.

as well as....

i cant empty the trash at the moment because the item"antitheft.plugin is in use ...

also.. ''antivirus.plugin is in use...

also'' cache.db'' is in use

also ''com.zeobit.mackeeper.helper.plist 22-22-22-829.lockfile is in use. (would this be the item in ''keychain access"'?

this is scary stuff for a newbie. judych

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMAC 27''MC813X/A 2.7GHz
oh.. i forgot to say.. i got rid of the mackeeper icon on the dock. judych

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 21.5 2011 Stock with Time Capsule. Ipad2 Colecovision
Judy I almost did the same thing when I bought my Mac. I saw the advertisement here for Mackeeper and was ready to download it. Luckily I read the feedback here and also did a google search and it is rated very low. Even their Facebook has negative comments.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Looks like you are making progress. If you run into a snag post for help. We have people on this site who have waded through the process (I'm not one fortunately/unfortunately) who should be able to help if you get stuck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
The first thing I would do is uninstall Mackeeper. It's a load of rubbish. You would be better off downloading Clean my Mac..

Actually CleanMyMac isn't held in very high regard either. The UI is absolutely GORGEOUS, but I've read a few stories of it ruining people's systems. Some of what it claims to do is extremely vague, the "system junk" module in particular. I was trying it out once for kicks and ran that on a folder full of PNG icons and though it claimed to save x amount of space once done, a review of the contents (including invisible items) showed nothing different.

My general opinion is that it does absolutely nothing that can't be done for much less or even free via Onyx and a couple other utilities that are held in high regard.

Might wanna read this:
http://rixstep.com/4/2/cleanmymac,00.shtml

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMAC 27''MC813X/A 2.7GHz
thanks.. ive still got three outstanding files from mackeeper that are active and i cant seem to get rid of them completely. they are in trash.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
have you tried rebooting the Mac and deleting them?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
have you tried rebooting the Mac and deleting them?

Just what I was going to suggest . . . If it were me I would combine with a cold shutdown.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMAC 27''MC813X/A 2.7GHz
would rebooting the mac get rid of them?? ive tried every other way. perhaps you could fill me in with a bit more info here?? i consider myself lucky that ive not deleted important files over the last 24 hours.. i came close.
i want to be completely rid of them. i emailed the company that puts mackeeper out and told them their fortune. ive heard back from them twice. judych

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMAC 27''MC813X/A 2.7GHz
..more on this. what is a ''cold shutdown"?? ... remember, im a newbie.. and i reckon a pain in the backside as well. lol.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.