How to get picture files to external harddrive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac , iPad , MBP, iPod
I have done a search, but not found my problem. I have a 2 T Harddrive for time machine. I would also like to safe all my photos on a separate hardrive. When I tried to move a folder to that drive it said not enough permission. I am new to my Imac and new to the world of macs. Is there some thing I have to set up?

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac , iPad , MBP, iPod
I have done a search, but not found my problem. I have a 2 T Harddrive for time machine. I would also like to safe all my photos on a separate hardrive. When I tried to move a folder to that drive it said not enough permission. I am new to my Imac and new to the world of macs. Is there some thing I have to set up?

I should have also said that the other drive was one I used with windows. My nephew told me I need to get a new one dedicated to mac.

C

chas_m

I think what you're saying is that you have a SECOND external hard drive (not the one for Time Machine) that you want to move some stuff to, but you're getting a permissions error, is that right?

The reason you're getting a permissions error is that the drive you're using is formatted for Windows using NTFS, which Macs can read but can't natively write to. you can just reformat the drive for Mac in Disk Utility. Ask us if you're not sure how.

I should point out that your iPhoto library (or pictures folder if you're not using iPhoto for some reason) is already being backed up by Time Machine, so you don't REALLY need to back them up again on another drive unless you want to (which is perfectly okay, there's no such thing as too many backups).

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac , iPad , MBP, iPod
Thank you so much for your help, and explanation as why this was happening. I have decided to get a another drive as this one has a lot of information on it I dont want to loose by reformatting. I want to back up all my photos and movies that I take.
PS, I see you live in Victoria BC I live in Victoria Australia.

C

chas_m

No problem, as I say you can't have too many.

We have a number of Aussies on this forum, always glad to see another. If your Victoria is half as beautiful as ours I shall have to come visit it someday!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.