Parallels Questions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2.3ghz Core i5 MBP, 2G 8gb iPod Touch, Samsung Galaxy S
Hey all!

I finally found a legit seller and am picking up a practically new 2011 13" Macbook Pro the laptop later sometime this week. To get an idea of what I'm purchasing, this is it and its seriously a steal.

So my question is, they have parallels with a legit copy of Windows Vista already installed. Is there any way to remove that copy of Vista that's installed into the computer and preserve the serial number? It is a single user license so I don't want to lose that in case I wanna use it later.

Also, during the email conversation she stated that I would be the one to wipe the computer. She mentioned that there are only about 80 hours of use on it (which is nothing), so with that in mind, is it even worth wiping the computer back to its original state? If not, is there a way I can register the laptop into my name?

If it turns out that its safe to wipe the computer, how would I go about doing that?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm so excited that I found this good of a deal!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
If she doesn't give you the original Vista disc with the Product ID, you don't have a license to use it - and piracy is not something we discuss on this forum.

If you purchase it with the understanding that the machine was to be wiped, then it's your obligation to do so.

OP
SimeonAS89
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If she doesn't give you the original Vista disc with the Product ID, you don't have a license to use it - and piracy is not something we discuss on this forum.

If you purchase it with the understanding that the machine was to be wiped, then it's your obligation to do so.

Oh yeah yeah of course. I will be receiving all original packaging, documentation, and discs. She mentioned it is a legitimate copy of vista purchased from Amazon as well as with all other software included in the package.

C

chas_m

Good news!

If the Vista disk et al is coming with it, then you will be able to use that disk again later if you wipe the partition out now (which I think is a very good idea for both your and her security). You will still have to call MS for authorization but it's no big deal and they will be happy to do it if you have the disks/paperwork.

OP
SimeonAS89
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good news!

If the Vista disk et al is coming with it, then you will be able to use that disk again later if you wipe the partition out now (which I think is a very good idea for both your and her security). You will still have to call MS for authorization but it's no big deal and they will be happy to do it if you have the disks/paperwork.
Is the call for authorization just to get that code for Vista removed from the previous user or is there more to it?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You may not have to call MS. Just install Vista and then activate it over the net with the MS servers. If the server refuses, then you can call the MS number it will give you.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Is the call for authorization just to get that code for Vista removed from the previous user or is there more to it?

Windows uses an anti-piracy mechanism known as "product activation", wherein, each time a copy of Windows is installed, it creates a unique signature of the hardware it's being installed on and checks that signature against the last registration. If it differs, it will fail to activate under certain circumstances, and occasionally require manual activation. As long as you can prove ownership, it's a relatively simple affair.

With a retail copy, you are given something like 3 major hardware changes... and since it was last activated under Parallels (assuming you install it under Parallels again), you probably have nothing to worry about.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.