Home sharing. Moving songs from pc to mac

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I've just bought a macbook pro 13 inch. I would like to move my entire itunes library from pc to the mac (just over 9000 songs). One of the options for doing this is home sharing. However, the home sharing icon does not appear on my pc. Also, when I've tried to create home share on my laptop, the following message appears:

Home Sharing could not be activated because this computer is not authorized for the account . Would you like to authorize now?

So I click authorise but the following message keeps appearing:

You cannot authorise more than 5 computers

You have already authorised more than 5 computers with this account. To authorise this computer you must first deauthorise one of the other computers.

I really am stuck. Any help provided would be much appreciated :)

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Thread moved from News and Community Announcements to a more appropriate forum.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, late 2012 model, 21"
There's two ways you can go about this, depending on your situation.

If you still have an old computer on which you authorized your iTunes account...
Go to iTunes on that computer and click on Store in the menu bar at the top of the window. (Note: Do not click on the "iTunes Store" icon in the left hand sidebar. You need to click the Store menu to do do this.) From there, click Deauthroize This Computer. That will deauthorize the account on that computer so that you can authorize the new Mac you purchased.

If you no longer have the old computers on which you authorized your iTunes account...
Click on the iTunes Store icon in the left hand sidebar. From there click on your iTunes username in the upper right corner. Enter your password and log in to your account. On the next screen, you'll see a section called "Apple ID Summary". Here you'll see a how many computers you've authorized to use your iTunes account. Click the button Deauthorize All to deauthorize all the computers using your iTunes account (including ones you may not have any more). You should now be able to go into you Mac – and any PCs you may still have – and reauthorize your iTunes account.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.