Need a new email address that's Mac friendly

Reaction score
I've recently abandoned the PC world and one of my remaining ties is my hotmail account. I've had my hotmail address for god only knows how long..... pretty much since it's inception, so making a move to another email address will be a huge deal for me.

I've taken a look at gmail, but there isn't any address that's remotely close to mine without putting in numbers to make it unique which I'd like to avoid.

Is there a MAC email service? I know there used to be @mac.com which became @me.com, but it says they're not taking anymore subscribers.

Any suggestions???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
There's no need to ditch Hotmail. The OS X Mail client will let you access it with no problems!

On the other side of the fence, if you're going to be using iCloud in the future, and if you do not have an Apple ID yet (which most people usually do since one is required in order to purchase anything from iTunes or the App Store, or even to download anything for free for that matter..), then you can simply create a me.com email address, which will tie in directly to your iCloud account.

The OS X mail client doesn't care how many mail accounts you have, so you can have a Gmail one, Yahoo, Hotmail, me.com and even the one you might use at work, so long as you know what the domain name info is and such.

Doug

P.S. And don't forget, it doesn't matter that you have a Windows machine. If you've ever used iTunes, there's a good chance you might have made a purchase through it, which means you'd have an Apple ID.

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks for the response Doug. I already have an Apple ID.... it's my hotmail address. I'd love to create a me.com email address, but they're not currently taking any new subscribers.

I currently have my hotmail address hooked up with the OSX mail program, but it's pretty useless since I have a ton of folders set up with hotmail.

C

chas_m

iCloud will let you create a new ".me" address. It is free of charge and AD-FREE (my favourite feature) and works great with Mail (you'll need to be on Lion for this, but you probably are).

iCloud.com

So far it's been awesome.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
What Chas said. Sign in to iCloud via system preferences, then click the email tab, you'll then be able to go to iCloud.com and create an me.com email address.

Doug

C

chas_m

Should you not be on Lion yet, there's GMail and several other IMAP-oriented providers of free email addresses (all advertising supported of course, but still). You definitely want an IMAP account if you a) have more than one device you check email from and/or b) travel.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Classic 80G, iPod Touch 4th Gen 64G, iPhone 4s 64G, iPad 2 16G, MacBook Pro 13" 2.8Ghz 8G 750HD
Thanks for the tip on the @me.com - I was also bummed to see they weren't taking any new usernames. Great work-around!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.