Switch from Tiger to Leopard 1o.5

bec

Reaction score
Lad in store said I could go from tiger to snow leopard--no problem if I have Intel processor which I do. Call to Applecare, and they say go to leopard first which is hard to find and expensive.

C

chas_m

The lad in the store was correct, but Apple was giving you the official way to do it (and not out of greed -- they don't sell Leopard so they make no money on going the "long route").

You can, in fact, jump from Tiger (10.4.11) to Snow Leopard by buying a retail disk (about $30). But be VERY AWARE that you'll also need to upgrade a fair chunk of your software if you haven't done so, so you should budget for new editions of the iLife apps you use, the iWork apps you might use, an updated copy of MS Office if you use that and so forth.

Apple's official solution is still, I think, the "Snow Leopard Box Set" which includes Snow, the full iLife suite and the full iWork suite. If you use more than 2-3 of the iLife apps, this is probably a good deal for you if Apple is still selling it.

Once you've upgraded to Snow Leopard, you have the option (not mandatory) of upgrading to Lion later on, though if your machine is as old as mine (2007) you may just want to wait until you replace the machine, since you'll get Lion as part of that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini
From the sounds of it, while Lion may work on 2007 and above, it seems, from what I've been reading to be less buggy on the newer machines (ie that came out around the same time. Or maybe it's just a need for the bugs to worked out of Lion yet.

C

chas_m

And of course for Lion the Intel Mac *must* be an Intel Core 2 Duo or later. Forgot about that.

OP
B

bec

Reaction score
Thanks for your information. I do have intel core 2. I also have a copy of iWork.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Lad in store said I could go from tiger to snow leopard--no problem if I have Intel processor which I do. Call to Applecare, and they say go to leopard first ...

The lad in the store was correct, but Apple was giving you the official way to do it (and not out of greed -- they don't sell Leopard so they make no money on going the "long route").

Interesting to get confirmation that Apple's "official" position has not changed. The attitude about it amongst long time users has certainly relaxed quite a bit lately.

And of course for Lion the Intel Mac *must* be an Intel Core 2 Duo or later. Forgot about that.

Thanks for your information. I do have intel core 2. I also have a copy of iWork.
Note that those two processors are not the same. Just making sure...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.