• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

At&t switching up data plan usage

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13in rMBP 2014 Yosemite
my good friend works at an at&t call center and let me into the know that tomorrow At&t will be changing their standard offering on data plans..
he said..
300mb for 20$
3G for 30$

i am not impressed by this at all..i have been using 2gb for 25.. with some sort of discount based off the hospital my wife and i work at putting it around 16 or 17$/month
i just changed my wife's data to the 25$/2gb from the 15$/200mb plan. so shell get the same discount.

i would think that they will let people keep what they currently have

food for thought

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
So $5/mo for a gig/mo

Once you're in a contract btw, you're in. Explains my unlimited $30/mo doesn't it? ;)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
So $5/mo for a gig/mo

Once you're in a contract btw, you're in. Explains my unlimited $30/mo doesn't it? ;)

Same here. Glad I got in when I did.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
X3. I'm so glad I was grandfathered into the unlimited back with my iPhone 3G. It's one of the reasons I don't plan on switching phones/carriers...I don't want to lose my data plan.

3gb for $30 doesn't seem bad at all when people pay $25 for 2gb now. However, I still think there should be a NO data plan with iPhones. My dad's iPhone4 only has the 200mb plan because he never needs the data. He would drop the data all together if he could.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
If that is true, I don't like the change either. They will be forcing people to pay more when some people may not want any more data per month. Not everyone uses their phones to streaming video. ;) I try to turn off my data whenever I've not using it since I do have the smaller data plan.

My dad's iPhone4 only has the 200mb plan because he never needs the data. He would drop the data all together if he could.
I do use my data but I'm in a somewhat similar situation as your dad. I don't use that much data per month so there is no need for a more expensive data plan.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You think that's bad? AT&T charges $50.00 per month for 5 GB of data usage with their USB notebook Dongle for OS X and Windows. And.. they require a two year contract when you buy the device. The Dongle with contract is $79.00. :Angry-Tongue:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I've been reading that ATT will drop the 3g grandfather clause when the next iPhone comes out. Unless data rates drop...lol, yeah right...I'll be sticking with my 4s for a while.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MB Air Core i7 256GB, 2011 Mini with 8GB RAM, iPad 2, iPhone 4S, 2TB Time Capsule
That's nothing but rumor at this point... The whole story there is that the next iPhone will be using some type of 4G data service, and in order to use that service the old "3G Unlimited" plans will not apply. I could see them doing it though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
That's nothing but rumor at this point... The whole story there is that the next iPhone will be using some type of 4G data service, and in order to use that service the old "3G Unlimited" plans will not apply. I could see them doing it though.

I think it's a bit more than a rumor. I can't see how they would allow a 3g unlimited data plan to get grandfathered into a 4g's data plan. It's technically a different service, as evident by Verizon's different data price.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MB Air Core i7 256GB, 2011 Mini with 8GB RAM, iPad 2, iPhone 4S, 2TB Time Capsule
That's exactly how it would be easily justifiable...

I'm not sure if they would remove the unlimited or just throttle heavy users which would make them want to jump data plans to avoid the limitations on speed. (EG: First two gigs of data at 4G speed, and then rolled back to 3G speed or lower thereafter)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
AT&T will do it and Verizon, Sprint will follow with raising their prices. Although I can't imagine how Sprint could compete if they raise theirs any higher than they are now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
I love my unlimited data on verizon.

Reaction score
text messages from AT&T regarding slowing rates...

I have personally received texts from AT&T stating I was in the top 5% of data users, which I find really odd, and if I continued to stay in the top 5% I would receive slower usage rates. This text was on the last day of my cycle and I only used 2000 MB /2GB. They also recommended that if speed was an issue for me that I should switch to a different data plan other than the unlimited I have now. Seriously?!?!?!?!

So this morning again I received another text, at 1500 MB, stating I was approaching the top 5% again and my rates would slow.

I think this is crap! I don't see how they can do this...I think all companies make poor decisions to not leave their current customers alone. (like netflix when they changed their plans (just my opinion tho))

Anyways, we just thought to see if there was anyone else here that felt a little ticked too or had some insight.
thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
I have unlimited on Verizon and I use anywhere from 3-10gb a month and my speeds are fine.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You may as well get used to it. It's my opinion that we will gradually see the demise of unlimited plans as carriers expand their networks and see the need for more revenue. No one is truly "grandfathered" into anything.

Reaction score
I didn't think I was really in the top 5% of data usage! That's crazy for them to tell me that at 2Gb I'm at the top! seems crazy and how slow will our usage rates go? maybe like another said, 4 to 3 g....who knows?!?!? blah,blah,blah!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.