How to access the context help in xcode

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Air i5 1.70GHz 4GB
Hi,

This may well be a dumb question - but I figure it's worth asking just so I can find out what I'm doing dumb this time ;)

I'm playing about in xcode and trying to get help from the context documentation

Pressing [alt] and clicking on some code pops up the Organizer - Documentation window (which has all the iOS library documentation and stuff in it) Seems all good - however I can't actually access it.

I get a message saying that I have to sign in with my Apple ID - seems fair enough - but there's a catch. When I try to type into the text boxes to enter my ID and password I get another message:

"index.html is locked for editing - do you want to unlock it?"

If I say No - then I can't type in my password

if I say Yes it tells me that I don't have permission to unlock it (presumably because I'm not logged in?)

So.... how do I log in? Is there somewhere else I can log in so that xcode will remember I'm logged in and not ask me at this point?

Any pointers would be appreciated!

:Confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Seems very weird. I'd look at the Console.app logs to see if there are any hints. It also sounds like you don't have the documentation on your local drive, so the system wants to go out to Apple. I can't recall how you get it local though. :(

OP
GirlCalledPete
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Air i5 1.70GHz 4GB
Hi xstep - thanks for the reply - you're right - Turns out that I didn't have the documentation on my local drive and that is required.

To fix it I found a "Downloads" tab in the Preferences window. Then under Documentation I clicked "Check and Install" and xcode then downloaded all the documentation to the local drive. Now I can access it without hitting that log in page.

thanks for the help!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.