External Hard Drive ?

Reaction score
I fairly new to mac with a macbook pro and not sure the best place to ask this.
I have an iomega 1TB external harddrive that I use to store movie files from a gopro type camera as well as use it for Time Machine. I only had 80 GB left on in so I bought another 2TB iomega drive. On the 1TB I had about 600 GB of movies and 350GB of Time Machine.
I was able to move the time machine files to the 2TB drive and set it up as the Time Machine without issues.
Once I was sure that the backup files were on the 2TB drive and backing up successfully I deleted the folder from the 1TB leaving just the movies on there.
When I look at the original 1TB and "get info" it still only shows that I have 80GB remaining.
When I go through the Apple, about this mac, more info, storage and see all three drives (the two external and the internal) the 1TB shows 600GB of movies in dark purple and another 350 in "other" yellow.
Side note: When I use my gopro camera and delete the files after moving them, the same thing happens-my available storage space goes down even though the files have been deleted off. Not a big deal, I just erase through disk utilities and start fresh.
But in this situation I can't erase because I still have a ton of files on that 1TB drive.
Without a third spare harddrive to play musical files, how do I clear off that 1TB drive to free up that extra 350GB of space?
Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27' iMac, 2.8 GHz Intel Core i5, 16GB Ram. 10.8.2 OSX
I'm still relatively new to this as well, but I've noticed this on my drives. If you have moved the stuff to the trash, with the drive open you need to empty the trash. For some reason, when I close my external drive and empty the trash, it is only emptying it on my local HD. But when looking at my external, and emptying the trash, it clears the data off and free's up my space.

Not sure if that is it or not, but might be worth a shot.

OP
B
Reaction score
I'm still relatively new to this as well, but I've noticed this on my drives. If you have moved the stuff to the trash, with the drive open you need to empty the trash. For some reason, when I close my external drive and empty the trash, it is only emptying it on my local HD. But when looking at my external, and emptying the trash, it clears the data off and free's up my space.

Not sure if that is it or not, but might be worth a shot.

poof, that did it...thanks!

C

chas_m

Yes, the reason for this is that every removable writable device (thumb drives, external HDs, etc) stores its trash on its own directory (in an invisible file called .Trash). So the drive MUST be mounted when the trash is emptied for files from that drive to be deleted.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.