• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Buying a new workstation specifically for FCPX

Reaction score
Hello,

I've been working with FCPX for a few months now at my job and have decided to shop around for a new workstation for my home studio.

Perhaps you can share some suggestions on what type of Mac would best work for my situation.

I have a budget of around $2000.

At my job, I've been using FCPX on a 2011 27" iMac 3.2Ghz Single-Core i3, and the program runs ok (now that we've upgrade to 16gb of ram and they've also updated the software) The program does lag, but its not so bad.

However, the other day I was working on a friend's 2010 8-core MacPro with 14gb of ram, and it was just blazing fast. FCPX never lagged. I was very impressed and enjoyed the experience.

For myself, I was considering a 21.5" or 27" iMac quad-core, which I understand I can upgrade to 32gb of ram (aftermarket ram). But, I'd also like to consider a 15" MacBook Pro Quad-core that I could pick up a larger display for later on when I have more funds. I'm just concerned the MacBook Pro will not perform as well for the long-run.

I really want to make sure I get this right. For now, I've been working on small projects, such as retagging 30 second TV spots and filming & composing 5 minute videos for clients, but I will eventually want to create 1-2 hour videos.

For now I've been filming with a Sony HDR-CX160, which I record with at 60fps. I convert my MTS files to .MOV format with Clip Wrap, and things have been going well. I understand that the 60fps files are quite massive compared to 30fps files, but this is probably they way I will continue to go for now. I use Compressor for reformatting finished projects for distribution to local TV broadcasters.

Any and all advice is welcome. Thanks for your time.

C

chas_m

I'd go with your original plan of a quad-core i7 iMac, maybe getting a MBP for portable action on the next revision or when funds are available (whichever comes first).

PS. I envy you your job. I love my own work, but I originally had eyes on video editing back in my college days and compared to what we had to work with then, video editors today are in paradise!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
Ok, I have a Sony HDR-SD12 and I just directly import off the camera - no converting necessary that way... Takes an entire step out of the equation. Now, for older videos, yes, I have to convert those, but from this point on, straight off the camera.

As to machine - CPU and video card is the key for this. Get the best CPU and Video card you can. If you are set on the MBP, dont go less than the 15" 2.4GHz and if you are set on the iMac, 27" 3.1 GHz. You can upgrade RAM after the fact on both as well as HDD, so dont worry about those too much at the point of sale.

As you can see under my avatar, I have the 17" MBP and I love it. I required the portability and the 17" ended up being perfect.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.