NTSF External Hard Drive Back HELP PLEASE!!!

Reaction score
So I have an external hard drive which I want clean slated and brand new ready to back up my MacBook pro. How should I go about this?
Should I connect it to my new MacBook and format it?
-OR-
Should I connect it to my old PC that it was originally used for? (Hence, NTSF)

What format should I format it to?
Fat32 (I believe it is called) I hear has a 4gig per file limit?

I'm going to want to use the external primarily for backing up my MacBook Pro, however I think there may be times in the future that I am going to need to hook the external up to a PC again.

Thanks everyone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
You have all the important facts to hand there so the choice is really yours.

If it's purely for Mac use I'd say use HFS+. Also if it's to store a backup I'd suggest using it as a didcated Mac drive is the way to go.

If you need PC compatibility then FAT32 will do (file limit exceptions apply, as you noted).

However, I'd suggest NTFS and grabbing a copy of Paragon NTFS for Mac to provide robust read & write under OSX.

The other alternative is to partition the disk (if it's big enough) and go half-and-half PC/Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini Server 4,1 (2.66GHz Core2Duo CPU, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD), iPhone SE 2nd gen (128GB)
You could format it to exFat (the 64-bit version of FAT, with a file size limit of something like 16TB, more than you'd ever need on anything short of a server-class RAID array), which should work with all contemporary Macs; but only with the later versions of Windows XP & onwards on PCs.

However, if you're not going to be using it on PCs the Mac default of HFS+ is best (both as it is a superior file system, and because it is the only system that Time Machine will/can write back-ups to, just like how Windows can only back-up to its default of NTFS).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.