Second Opinion

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2.3ghz Core i5 MBP, 2G 8gb iPod Touch, Samsung Galaxy S
Ok, so I've been looking for a Macbook Pro for a bit and I stumbled upon this one on Craigslist here in my area. So far it looks legit from what the guy is telling me. I'm still waiting on a response about a lot of the software as to if they are legit copies. It is a '09 Macbook Pro with a 2.26ghz Processer.
I'm a student, but I honestly don't need all the extra power of an i5 so I figured I'd go for something a little cheaper. I just do basic surfing, iTunes, email, word processing, etc.

This is the first time I'm making a huge purchase like this, especially from Craigslist. If anyone has any tips or anything like that I'm all ears. Just for my own peace of mind, I figured I'd have it checked out by an Apple Tech just to be safe.

Basically what I'm looking for is some input, maybe someone who has this machine (if not similar), any issues I may run into, etc.
Any input would be greatly appreciated. :)

Reaction score
Everything about it sounds legitimate to me -- except the price. $700 for a 2009 MBP seems a bit on the low side.

I'd insist on trying it out before forking over any cash.

As for the software: it's all standard stuff with a purchase of a new Mac, so nothing seems out of the ordinary here. Just make sure you get the discs with the machine.

Good luck,

Z

OP
SimeonAS89
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Everything about it sounds legitimate to me -- except the price. $700 for a 2009 MBP seems a bit on the low side.

I'd insist on trying it out before forking over any cash.

As for the software: it's all standard stuff with a purchase of a new Mac, so nothing seems out of the ordinary here. Just make sure you get the discs with the machine.

Good luck,

Z

Thank you for your response. Should I be worried about some of the things like the keyboard replacement? I know its nothing major and I'm sure its easy to replace it yourself, but I'm thinking in terms of what if...

Reaction score
That's why I say to try it out before you commit to buying. The worst case scenario is that some piece of hardware is dysfunctional, so that's what you'll want to test. Type out a document on the scene to get a feel for keyboard dexterity and accuracy. Toss in a DVD or two to make sure the drive works properly. Connect to your phone via Bluetooth. Do all this on battery power to get a feel for its longevity. Etc etc etc.

When you're satisfied that the system operates soundly, then make an offer. And if you find one or more problems, you can decide if you want to take it at a discount and make your own repairs, or walk away and wait for the next great opportunity to come along.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Air, 1.7GHz i5, 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD; iPhone 4s; iPod Classic 6th Gen
So did you buy it? The author deleted the post on Craigslist

OP
SimeonAS89
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So did you buy it? The author deleted the post on Craigslist

No I didn't end up buying. Although I did find a similar one.. This last guy seemed kind Of flaky anyways. The other seller I found was a lot more up front and willing to work with me in terms of meeting at an apple store and more forward about his software.

OP
SimeonAS89
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You probably saved yourself a lot of heartache there, Simeon. Good move.
Yeah, and A LOT of money at that!

This is the one I am looking at now. The seller actually lives close to me, so it shouldn't be hard to get this moving. He was a bit more forward with answering questions. For example, I asked about the software. He does have what I need (MS Office), but its pirated. I don't have any issues with that because we all do it at some point or another, but hopefully I can use that as a negotiation. He said the lowest he would go is $725 which is great, but just out of the goodness of my heart, I don't think I'll make him go that low just because the guy needs to make some money somewhere.

Any opinions on this one??

C

chas_m

If it's as clean as he says I'd give him $750.

Don't take the MS Office -- as you say its pirated and while you might not have a problem with that, we do (and Microsoft might as well). Why open yourself up to litigation when iWork is $60 (for the whole thing, $20 per app) off the Mac App Store? Or heck, OpenOffice (LibreOffice, NeoOffice et all) is free!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.