I'm confused

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2011 - iPhone 5
You bought/own a Mac of some sort, and you're smart enough to find this Mac Forum online, then sign up, then locate a proper forum, and finally post a new thread, but you don't know how to restart your own computer?? Something is terribly wrong here! I was a PC person for my entire "computer-owning" existence and hated using Macs in college, but when my 2nd Gateway crashed I couldn't wait to buy a beautiful, well-made, high-quality machine from Apple! I can relate to being a newbie, but that's 90% of the fun! Learning how to do everything all over again just by using the machine.

I've been researching left and right on how to operate my new iMac when it comes to something different than a PC's operation. Practicing and exploring is all part of learning. I don't understand how you can do all of this, but you haven't taught yourself the basics? Maybe I should feel guilty for feeling this way. My father doesn't know what a DVD is. :Lips-Are-Sealed:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 duo processor 4 GB of memory 300 GB HD imac, 8GB Ipod Touch 4th generation
lol restarting you computer is as easy as clicking the apple on the top left corner of your screen and selecting restart.

I know what you mean though I grew up using PCs until 2008 when I switched to mac. I remember learning some complicated stuff like running the PC version of Quake 3 arena on the mac but I was always coming back to this forums and asking very basic stuff like trying to get my documents folder back on the dock.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your confusion has us confused. Is this supposed to be a reply in response to a question in a thread? Or are you just blogging?

OP
RauschIt
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2011 - iPhone 5
Ummmmmm, what answer is the correct answer? I was helping out newbies with my wisdom. Annnd I was venting frustration because I couldn't find the appropriate category for iTunes questions and there's a category for not knowing how to turn on your computer, but not a clear subcategory for iTunes. I didn't think my questions qualified as the "make my own music" category.

I've been lectured many times on DAL (when I was a PC user) for posting in the wrong categories, so I know how sensitive these forum people are and I was frustrated! Sorry.

Seriously, where do iTunes questions go? Software, correct?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
You can post here too, it's a forum for switchers.. so if it's related to 'getting used to a Mac', I consider it fair game...

the staff might not, but I do ;)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Your confusion has us confused. Is this supposed to be a reply in response to a question in a thread? Or are you just blogging?
Yeah, I'm confused as well. I've read your post twice and I'm not sure what you want (do you want something?).

As for your second question, yes, iTunes go in the Applications section. If you put future questions in the wrong place, we'll move them and don't take that personally.

OP
RauschIt
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2011 - iPhone 5
I sort of had a question. If you read above, I was venting, and asking how someone can locate a Mac Forum, but not know how to restart their computer.

At least dysfunction and I agree.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Hmm. I read through it and was confused, then I got to the last sentence. I concluded that the rant was about your father's confusion. Maybe I'm wrong. ???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Air, 1.7GHz i5, 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD; iPhone 4s; iPod Classic 6th Gen
I'm not exactly sure I get OP's drift. I would say my only complaint is the laziness exhibited by users of this and about any other user forums on the internet. Many of the answers for people's problems can be found by a simple forum or Google search. It really is ridiculous how people take the time to start a new thread but can't enter a few words in a search bar.

I'm not sure if we can extrapolate this to broader society but jeez, take some initiative!

I do agree with OP about the excitement of learning a new operating system. I finally switched to a Mac last month and absolutely love it. It is so much fun learning the computer all over again and to boot, on a beautiful machine!

Reaction score
I found this original post amusing. As a newbie and after looking through the self help books and trying different things myself i turn here for help. Don't assume others haven't done the same thing, this thread may be boring to experienced users however there are those of us out there including myself who struggle with computers.
Now if you want to now how to make a nitro burning funny car make a pass in a quarter mile at 300 miles+ an hour....we all have different talents. just sayin.....

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
I personally have yet to figure out what this thread is about...but that's just me...I'm a little slow sometimes

....we all have different talents. just sayin.....

Amen to that

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 21.5" i5 iMac 2.7ghz 4gb ram 1tb HDD
I have absolutely no idea what is going on.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
If I'm not mistaken, he's referring to the description for the Swicher's forum. It reads:

The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

"How do I restart my new iMac?" is just an example of the kind of newbie questions we field here... hence the term "like" directly preceding the quote.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 MBP 15" I7 2.3 Ghz 16 GB Ram 500 GB SSD Retina
If I'm not mistaken, he's referring to the description for the Swicher's forum. It reads:

"How do I restart my new iMac?" is just an example of the kind of newbie questions we field here... hence the term "like" directly preceding the quote.

By GEORGE I think you have it! LOL

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
If I'm not mistaken, he's referring to the description for the Swicher's forum.

Winner winner...chicken dinner!! Ahhh...I can rest easy now - I've looked at this thing 3 times without a clue :(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.