One thing that osx does that kills me!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz core 2 duo, 200GB HD,Nvidia 256 DDR3 graphics, 6GB RAM
Ok, so as I was reading these stories about pc users who switch over and their stories about the differences I just made me think about some differences and this one in particular kills me!
Whenever osx promps you to either "save" or "open with" no matter what you select it still downloads and saves the file!!! Now for the initial Mac user im sure this doesn't make much of a difference but to me it really annoys me sometimes lol. On a pc when the prompt comes up to either save or open(run) it does just that. Maybe I have just been interpreting that wrong but it's like why give me the option if your just gonna save it anyway ;D. It would be cool if osx eventually did have that feature because there are tons of instances that I encounter where I don't need something long enough to warrant saving it and would rather not have to take the time to locate and delete the files after finishing wi them.
Any others pc guys feel like this sometimes or am I just getting "rantish" in my old age ;D

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
One thing to note about the differences between the platforms is that, in reality, it's not really all that different. In Windows for example, when you tell it to "open" something, the file is still downloaded since it has to be on the machine to be opened. Unlike OS X however, it is saved in a temp directory so you don't actually see it. As you can see then, there is little that differs between the two platforms.

Actually, this isn't entirely a platform difference either. As far as I know, this is browser specific to some degree as well.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To a degree yes. But when you click anything that prompts a download windows gives you the "run" option, this doesn't leave any physical files on the system. My mistake, "open" option comes after you have already downloaded the file on windows. It's a small meaningless feature to most by those little things are what you notice after a while. Not hating on Mac or anything by any means, just had a little bone to pick ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
To a degree yes. But when you click anything that prompts a download windows gives you the "run" option, this doesn't leave any physical files on the system. My mistake, "open" option comes after you have already downloaded the file on windows. It's a small meaningless feature to most by those little things are what you notice after a while. Not hating on Mac or anything by any means, just had a little bone to pick ;)

Actually, it does leave the file on your system. It's just buried in a system temp directory, rather than a your download directory.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
You didn't mention what browser you are using. I do have a download manager that opens files that I specify automatically. Also there is a setting that is turned off now in Safari -> Preferences -> General -> "Open "safe" Files after downloading" - this was turned off after a big brouhaha of an installer loading a program that masqueraded as security software. You can turn it back on but it isn't recommended because of that phishing attack.
https://www.google.com/webhp?source...b&fp=efa29c3e5b28f553&ion=1&biw=1163&bih=1082

I actually don't recommend Auto-running anything on Windows or Macs - for this very reason.

Firefox does ask if you want to open or save the file - and in my experience it will open the file with the proper App. I do have some add-ons that may help it like flashgot but I think the default dialog does ask whether to save or open.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
To a degree yes. But when you click anything that prompts a download windows gives you the "run" option, this doesn't leave any physical files on the system.
Ah, but as I noted above, a file is left on your machine. Notice that when you select the run/open option, it takes time. This is because the file is downloading (you can even see the progress in the resulting dialog).

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah I understand that the file gets sent to the temp folder, but doesn't that folder clear it's contents after a specified time or a user inputting setting? because those types of folders are what less experienced users dont think to look at when wondering where all their HD space went. Some also think that clearing the download list in Firefox deletes the files( I just had to explain this phenomena to my roommate :Smirk: ). That's what sparked this post as well :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.