• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Burning to DVD enquiry

Reaction score
Hello, i need to put some music videos on a dvd, how can i put multiple videos on one? and roughly how many could i fit on? they are roughly 300mb in size each. Could i do this through iMovies?

Also, when i send them to my customers for them to upload on to the internet when ever they want, will they be able to play the files on a non apple computer? Or do i need to convert the files first?

Thank you for your time

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Hi. What file format are they? This will determine if they can be played on a win dows machine, but there should be no issue normally.
As for how many on blank DVD. Well you get roughly 4.4 GB of usable space on a single layer disc, so roughly 15 per disc at 300mb. You would need to burn it as a data disc.

OP
I
Reaction score
It says quicktime when i right click and get info. Ok, thats plenty of room for the songs. How do i get them on to the disc though on iMovies? o is there another a good programme or do i just drag and drop? Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
You can just drag and drop them and burn as a data disc. Burn is free and will do the job admirably.

Burn - Home

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Burn is free and will do the job admirably.
So will Finder. Create a Folder, drag in the files, click on the Action wheel, select Burn to disc.

C

chas_m

As for how many on blank DVD. Well you get roughly 4.4 GB of usable space on a single layer disc, so roughly 15 per disc at 300mb. You would need to burn it as a data disc.

I somehow don't think burning it as a data disc is his intention, and if that's the case then your answer would be incorrect. A "movie" DVD (ie one that will play in a normal DVD player) can hold about two hours worth. Doesn't matter what file size the original video files are, they'll be upscaled or downscaled to 720x480 @ 29.997fps and converted to MPEG-2 for the DVD. That's how DVDs operate.

So if your music videos are an average of 5 minutes each, you'll get 40 music videos on.

The best program I've ever found for taking a bunch of various video files in different formats and turning them into a movie DVD is Roxio's Toast.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I somehow don't think burning it as a data disc is his intention, and if that's the case then your answer would be incorrect. A "movie" DVD (ie one that will play in a normal DVD player) can hold about two hours worth. Doesn't matter what file size the original video files are, they'll be upscaled or downscaled to 720x480 @ 29.997fps and converted to MPEG-2 for the DVD. That's how DVDs operate.

So if your music videos are an average of 5 minutes each, you'll get 40 music videos on.

The best program I've ever found for taking a bunch of various video files in different formats and turning them into a movie DVD is Roxio's Toast.

He said he's sending them so that customers can access them to upload to the internet, hence it does not to burned to a dvd player compatible disc, just a data disc will be fine for his purpose, as that data will be accessible on any PC.

OP
I
Reaction score
Sorry, just noticed this part. Are these your original music videos that you own the copyright to?

Why do you think I'm selling other peoples stuff? Thanks for that.

Clues in the name.....IFILM GIGS. I'll let you work that out

To summarise, I need to put individual videos on the disc, so on average its going to be about 8 or 9 on each disc, they have to be all separate so the customer can just pick and choose which video they want up online. So a date disk sounds ok! Thank you for all the sensible questions/suggestions!

:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" A1369, 128GB SSD, 2GB RAM/ATV (2nd Gen)/iPhone 4 32GB/2TB 2011 Time Capsule
Why do you think I'm selling other peoples stuff? Thanks for that.

Clues in the name.....IFILM GIGS. I'll let you work that out

To summarise, I need to put individual videos on the disc, so on average its going to be about 8 or 9 on each disc, they have to be all separate so the customer can just pick and choose which video they want up online. So a date disk sounds ok! Thank you for all the sensible questions/suggestions!

:D

I would try to tone down the attitude about copyrighted materials, and throwing out that your name somehow indicates you are a professional, when you are on a forum site asking questions about "how much can I fit on a disc" and "what should I use to burn" etc... not trying to be a d!ck, just saying

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would try to tone down the attitude about copyrighted materials, and throwing out that your name somehow indicates you are a professional, when you are on a forum site asking questions about "how much can I fit on a disc" and "what should I use to burn" etc... not trying to be a d!ck, just saying

Someone else was the first offender, it deserved a suitable response.

C

chas_m

I protest.

I didn't presume anything, that's why I asked. A simple "yes" would be have been sufficient. This forum doesn't allow discussion of copyright infringement so I'd rather be proactive in that regard. I don't want to accidentally run afoul of the rules nor do I want to accidentally help copyright infringers. Not that anything of the kind was implied by my asking.

Also, any 9-year-old can call themselves any user name they want here. To presume that "iFilm Gigs" is a professional just because they have that name is ridiculous, particularly when they were asking a pretty basic question. The fact that I could change my user name to "Microsoft" tomorrow doesn't mean I magically become one of the world's largest software firms. :)

I'm completely with markus on this one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" A1369, 128GB SSD, 2GB RAM/ATV (2nd Gen)/iPhone 4 32GB/2TB 2011 Time Capsule
I protest.

I didn't presume anything, that's why I asked. A simple "yes" would be have been sufficient. This forum doesn't allow discussion of copyright infringement so I'd rather be proactive in that regard. I don't want to accidentally run afoul of the rules nor do I want to accidentally help copyright infringers. Not that anything of the kind was implied by my asking.

Also, any 9-year-old can call themselves any user name they want here. To presume that "iFilm Gigs" is a professional just because they have that name is ridiculous, particularly when they were asking a pretty basic question. The fact that I could change my user name to "Microsoft" tomorrow doesn't mean I magically become one of the world's largest software firms. :)

I'm completely with markus on this one.

Thank you, I can't stand when people throw out their username like it's some sort of credential. Dude, you're asking how many files fit on a DVD, and you apparently have customers (shocking as that is). When you're sifting forum sites for an answer to a question, that really takes a "get info" click and a 30 second bout with fourth grade math, is it really that shocking that someone wouldn't automatically assume you're a professional videographer (again, based on dialog box that you filled in, which didn't require you to prove that uFilm Gigs), and that you maybe aren't exactly on the up and up?!?!

And on a side note, once I submit this, I am creating an account with my real title as I see fit: iKnow All will now be my new username, check me out sometime, and if you need any questions answered, feel comforted in the fact that I now have a doctorate in knowing all.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK guys, let's ease up. This forum is about helping folks and making them feel comfortable here. It's not up to us to "assume" anything or second guess what a person is doing or what he or she is about.

Thanks.

OP
I
Reaction score
OK guys, let's ease up. This forum is about helping folks and making them feel comfortable here. It's not up to us to "assume" anything or second guess what a person is doing or what he or she is about.

Thanks.

Thanks chscag

Come on people, it was a simple question. I never said i was a pro, I've just started out, filming local bands as a little hobby to earn a bit of extra money. I like to keep the same name on any website i use if its to do with my little business.

The reason i came on here instead of just typing it in google was to get different answers as we all know google can come up with one answer from one person, id rather get the same answer from a few people so i know its correct! Oh and to you its a pretty basic question, to me it wasn't, i have literally zero knowledge on this stuff, hence why i asked it and why i signed up to the site.

If you didn't presume it then why did you ask it? Honestly, whats it got to do with you? What difference would it make to your life? I imagine none! This is not a question for you to answer, I'm just making a point.

Thank you for all the helpful answers!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Thanks chscag

Come on people, it was a simple question. I never said i was a pro, I've just started out, filming local bands as a little hobby to earn a bit of extra money. I like to keep the same name on any website i use if its to do with my little business.

The reason i came on here instead of just typing it in google was to get different answers as we all know google can come up with one answer from one person, id rather get the same answer from a few people so i know its correct! Oh and to you its a pretty basic question, to me it wasn't, i have literally zero knowledge on this stuff, hence why i asked it and why i signed up to the site.

If you didn't presume it then why did you ask it? Honestly, whats it got to do with you? What difference would it make to your life? I imagine none! This is not a question for you to answer, I'm just making a point.

Thank you for all the helpful answers!

So, what you're saying, is that you don't want any help from the many knowledgeable and helpful folks that like to make sure they are not helping someone with illegal activities before they provide an answer.

Fair enough.

OP
I
Reaction score
So, what you're saying, is that you don't want any help from the many knowledgeable and helpful folks that like to make sure they are not helping someone with illegal activities before they provide an answer.

Fair enough.

Hey man, let it drop! Crikey! Maybe you should read what chscag wrote?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.