• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Camcorder Suggestion

Reaction score
Hello,

I am planning to upgrade to latest HD Camcorder and in this regard shortlisted the following;

Panasonic TM 900
Canon VIXIA HFS30

First of all I like your expert opinion on which camera to go for. Please free to add better make/model however my budget is US$1,000.

Additionally, I would also appreciate your thoughts on editing the videos with Final Cut Pro X. While looking for cameras, some reviews stated some compatibility issues with Apple OS as it does not recognize AVHCD format and requires some kind of converter. Due to these complexities, I was lost in the entire process and though of getting some expert help. So to summarize my issues, I would like your input on the following;

HD Camcorder (Make & Model with a maximum budget of US$ 1,000)
Camcorder's Supplied Software's Compatibility with Mac
Video Converter Application (In case it is a requirement)

Appreciate your support in this regard.

Zahid hafeez

C

chas_m

AVCHD is more of a container than a format. iMovie and FCP work with MP4/AAC AVCHD just fine, generally, but other variants are not always recognised.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp15inch, 2.2 ghz quad core, 512 mb video ram, 4gb ram/ Imac 21inch 2010
camera choice

Hello,

I am planning to upgrade to latest HD Camcorder and in this regard shortlisted the following;

Panasonic TM 900
Canon VIXIA HFS30

I have the cannon Vixia HFS30- extremely easy to use + its AVCHD so all you do is format the memory card your ready to go.

I love the camera its. Its extremely easy to download film to your computer. Either through the SD port or the camera usb cord thing, if you want pm me ill send you footage from the camera.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.