Memory Problems (I think)

R

roamer

We got new memory for 3 of our machines here last week. Since then, two of the g4's have been crashing quite regularily. One of them is crashing a few times a day. The computer is just freezing. The other one gets the black screen of death but it doesn't crash half as much as the other. The third one doesn't crash at all.

Is there a memory tester similiar to memtest86 for pc's?

If this is not the problem, how can I troubleshoot this? Will reparing file permissions fix this, I wonder. What exactly does this repair permissions do anyways, does it just check the filesystem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
repair persmissions checks the filesystem and looks to see if everything has the persmissions it should.

As for them crashing, id put it down to the ram if they have been behaving before hand, also what brand of memory is it? They tend to be picky about the brand of ram that they use

Reaction score
Sounds like bad ram to me. Try putting the old ram back in or taking out the new ram and see if it makes a difference. if they don't crash anymore then it's the ram. Mac's only like the top quality stuff.

Tech tool pro is a program that will test the ram for you, don't know of any others.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
run the hardware test on the mac install or restore cds...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.