Those thinking of switching

Reaction score
I've been a pc builder for more years than i can mention, and always owned laptops at the same time. However i have always passed by the apple sections of pcworld as i had no interest in owning what i prejudged as a dumbed down machine.

Well i was off to Edinburgh for a trip and fancied a new unit so i decided just to humour myself and take a look at the macbook pro range. anyways i popped over to look at my fav brand (wont mention whom here) and couldnt believe the price they where charging for a laptop styled on the macbook.

Anyways it was crimbo so i thought what the **** and despite the grief i knew i would get for purchising one (always been very vocal on why not to buy apple) i ended up with a macbook pro 13.

Now im very pc savy but got very excited about being a newbie once again, so while chilling in my hotel room i set about learning whatever i could about the mac osx. The things i noted about it was

It was so simple to use
It has quite a lot more power hidden under the surface if you want to play and tweak
Virtually all* my existing software types i required are replicated in free and paid forms for the mac
Its gorgeous.

I really cant believe how great this entry level machine is, and yes i can say i feel attached to it like i never did with a laptop the only difference really being the superb os and touchpad.

Unfortunately i cant ditch windows totally so have bootcamp setup as i develop custom roms for android phones (again wont mention the brand but they are based in a galaxy far away). If i find away around it i will.

Having seen what Microsoft has done with Windows 8 i knew i would have to switch, yes the cost was off putting at first, however the experience is worth the extra pounds

Those considering it should just go straight to your local store, demand one straight away, play with it for an hour and i guarantee you any thoughts of overspending or returning will vanish, the experience really is that good.

I never thought i would hear or see myself typing those words, but am so glad im in the position to say that i can, and boy was i wrong.

If i owned a hat i would eat it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Thats a nice tale.

Interesting you touch on the emotional angle, I have always just felt more comfortable with a mac over a windows PC, glad you are happy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
I'd be interested to see what you found for cost - "apples to apples" as the saying goes. Most PC guys (myself included) always assume that the Mac is more expensive by a lot because we always see the cheapest machines on display. But what I've found is that if you dig into the features that those cheap machines have they are usually missing some things like bluetooth, a camera/mic, long lasting battery, Windows 7 Pro, etc. Once you add all that stuff back in to match a Mac the price difference is nominal ~$100-$200 USD from what I've seen.

Otherwise I was in your same boat 4 years ago and experienced pretty much the same thing. Except I was staring at Windows Vista - otherwise known as Windows Me Too. That's what pushed me over to the Mac and I haven't looked back - except for Bootcamp and Parallels...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Air, 1.7GHz i5, 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD; iPhone 4s; iPod Classic 6th Gen
Very well said.

I am a two decade PC person who recently made the switch and I find it difficult to put into words how much I like this machine and its operating system.

I like to say that it simply does what it is supposed to, in an elegant and efficient manner and it's **** fine to look! Can't beat that combination.

Reaction score
Definitely agree. I made the switch after ridiculous laptop problems from a top brand, and won't ever go back. When I finally get my own place in a few years, I'll no doubt be getting an Apple desktop for it, but for now I'm extremely pleased with my MacBook pro. Excellent support, also, and the thing has never once failed, despite the fact I work my Mac to the bone. Somehow, it keeps working smoothly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac i7/3.4GHz, 12GB RAM, OSX 10.7.2
Count me in too. Been using, selling, repairing and installing PC's since 1986 (Gulp!) and jumped into the Mac platform a few months ago.
Like you, it's the first time I've been excited about learning a new OS in many, many years and I love it.
I installed Parallels with Windws 7 "just in case" but I hardly use this now and have migrated all my apps to OSX.
Its just a shame I still have to use and support Windows every day at work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz core 2 duo, 200GB HD,Nvidia 256 DDR3 graphics, 6GB RAM
I also have been a diehard PC person but I do enjoy my Mac.. I still have a windows desktop that I built from scratch myself and will continue to buy PC's because there are just some things for business that you can't do on a Mac. My main issues always arrise in excel and word. Other then that do have to say I was shocked that I even bought a Mac in the first place and even more shocked that I for the most part like them!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Word and excel both run fine on a Mac, I use them both almost daily. What doesn't work?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac i7/3.4GHz, 12GB RAM, OSX 10.7.2
Word and excel both run fine on a Mac, I use them both almost daily?

Same here. I use Mac Office 2011 and edit documents created at work on PC Office 2007/2010 without any issues whatsoever.

OP
T
Reaction score
Yep mac office all a ok here.

As mentioned the only reason i have Bindows on my mac is for developement tools (plus my webcam works better in windows as no software bar uvc in mac)

I wouldnt swap it for anything now, in fact i feel that this mac may last me at least two years (all my laptops lasted just 3 or 4 months so that will be an improvement!)

Just eyeing up a 27" Thunderbolt display and omnibay with ssd then ill be done

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
I went mac in 2011. I don't even turn on my PC any more.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2011 MBP 15" Iphone4
i switched...Not by choice

I was a pc user for years, I took a position as the chef at a lodge last May. The owner of the lodge was never around so i had to stay in contact via email due to no cell service. the 5 year old HP laptop i had just kept giving me problems. I would fix the laptop and due to problems it would be 2 or 3 days before i could reply to his email.. Long story short, The owner finally got ****** off and drove 200 miles to the lodge because he couldnt contact me due to a crappy HP. When he arrived at the lodge he handed me a new in a box a mbp 15" and said throw away that pc. So i did and i love this machine..I dont think ill ever go back to pc..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini Server 4,1 (2.66GHz Core2Duo CPU, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD), iPhone SE 2nd gen (128GB)
Definitely agree. I made the switch after ridiculous laptop problems from a top brand, and won't ever go back.
I'm on the brink of doing the same. I've got a laptop (from a certain brand that Apple just over-took as top "PC" manufacturer) which should - by the specs - be an absolute beast of a machine, but in practice is slow as treacle in mid winter, and both the internal webcam & the USB 3.0 ports stopped working (just disappeared completely from the Device Manager) the first time I used the manufacturer's proprietary driver update utility (needless to say, I've not used it since; updating drivers manually & relying on Windows Update for security patches)...

I still need Windows for my university course, but I'm thinking I'm gonna buy a MacBook Pro (when I can afford it) & Boot Camp it... Even if I mainly use the MBP as a "PC", booted into Windows by default, I'm sure it'll still be a far superior PC than the one I have at the moment! :Not-Amused:

Reaction score
My story is much the same, I have used Windows for as long as i can remember but about 6 months ago i had enough for windows for my own machine but after buying an iphone 4 and being so impressed i then bought an ipad then a MBP 13. I too have worked for years repairing laptops and PC's, building them and generally sorting out all the problems you get. I now have another job but work part time fixing windows still. I did not like apple for some reason but never really knew why so i did the same and got a mac. Will never go back to windows full time, i only keep a windows laptop so i can keep up to speed on sortinng them out as it still earns me money, this christmas i reinstalled 3 brand new win 7 machines that were not working properly out of the box but my mac has been perfect in every way and i do not think that apple is that expensive. My sony 13" laptop that i bought a few years ago cost me much more that my mbp and is no where near as good quality!
Sticking with apple now!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.