Made the switch, bought an iMac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" i5 iMac - Lion
Well, I am a life long PC user. Going back to the days of MSDOS, when having a hard drive was not very common.

But the other day I made the switch.

I bought an iMac, and so far I am liking it very much. I had a 750g usb HD that I hooked up and got time machine running on, per what I read as an important thing to do.

I have a CNC router I built, so most of my CAD/CAM stuff is windows based, and I have not seen a good and affordable bit of software to replace it on the mac. So I got parallels and set up XP in that, and that seems to run things just fine. Heck the parallels XP install was quicker and easier than doing it on a PC. ;)

I have found differences along the way, like using the command key instead of control for cut and paste stuff. But this is all minor stuff.

I wonder how to remove some of the stuff from the 'task bar' at the bottom that I do not use, or will not use, and put other things that I do use there. But I have not got that far yet.

The whole folder layout is quite a bit different as well, that is going to take some getting used to, as well as figuring out when a new 'directory' is needed so you don't have just one big folder full of stuff that is a pain to scroll through (like images).

All in all I am impressed. And as a lifetime PC/Windows user (who did hate windows btw), I must admit I always thought the mac people I ran into were somewhat finatical about macs, and kinda nutty. But I now have seen the light and so far, I understand, though there is a lot more to learn about this iMac in order to use it to it's full potential I am sure.

Paul

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac Forums.

Many of us started out computing back in the days of MSDOS and even before. Congratulations on the purchase of your iMac. Stay tuned to our forums as this is a great place to learn about your Mac.

I wonder how to remove some of the stuff from the 'task bar' at the bottom that I do not use, or will not use, and put other things that I do use there. But I have not got that far yet.

The "task bar" is known as the "Dock" in Mac speak. In order to remove an icon just grab it with your mouse and place it on the desktop. It will go "poof" and disappear but don't worry it's not gone for good since the icon only represents an "alias". Mac speak for "shortcut". The original app is still there in your applications folder.

In order to place an application on the "Dock", grab it from your application folder and drop it in the Dock to the left side of the Dock separator. There are other ways to add an application alias and you'll learn them later on.

Have fun.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
Well, I am a life long PC user. Going back to the days of MSDOS, when having a hard drive was not very common.

But the other day I made the switch.

I bought an iMac, and so far I am liking it very much. I had a 750g usb HD that I hooked up and got time machine running on, per what I read as an important thing to do.

I have a CNC router I built, so most of my CAD/CAM stuff is windows based, and I have not seen a good and affordable bit of software to replace it on the mac. So I got parallels and set up XP in that, and that seems to run things just fine. Heck the parallels XP install was quicker and easier than doing it on a PC. ;)

I have found differences along the way, like using the command key instead of control for cut and paste stuff. But this is all minor stuff.

The whole folder layout is quite a bit different as well, that is going to take some getting used to, as well as figuring out when a new 'directory' is needed so you don't have just one big folder full of stuff that is a pain to scroll through (like images).

All in all I am impressed. And as a lifetime PC/Windows user (who did hate windows btw), I must admit I always thought the mac people I ran into were somewhat finatical about macs, and kinda nutty. But I now have seen the light and so far, I understand, though there is a lot more to learn about this iMac in order to use it to it's full potential I am sure.

Paul
congrats ! with the mac you no longer have to kick and scream at it.;D

OP
Arbo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" i5 iMac - Lion
Thanks, good and quick info. I should have figured it out, but was afraid to remove something by doing the wrong thing. I don't want to mess it all up... yet. ;)

I didn't kick and scream at the PC, but I had considered dropping it off a cliff a few times.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
I'm fairly certain I have yelled at every PC I've ever owned - well - probably not the early ones - but any machine from Win 95 onward

OP
Arbo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" i5 iMac - Lion
rather than ask a million questions as I go, that have probably been asked a million times (just like this one coming up): Is there a recommended guide or source of information on 'getting to know your mac' some place?

For instance, I copied all my phones into iPhoto, and I can see basic editing, but when I wanted to use a photo elsewhere on the web, I had to shift over to windows, load it in gimp, crop it how I wanted, resave, load firefox and put it where I wanted it. I never found where the image actually sits among all the folders on the mac I guess, so just did it in windows as it was 'known' and quick.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
C

chas_m

For iPhoto, all you have to do is use the built-in tools to crop etc. then simply DRAG the photo out of iPhoto onto your desktop. Voila, instant copy for you to do whatever with.

OP
Arbo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" i5 iMac - Lion
thanks. so all the dragging does not make a link, it makes a copy. Got it.

Strange, I used to be able to guesture 'sweep' to go from my desktop to the control panel or whatever the thing with widgets is called. now it doesn't work.

OP
Arbo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" i5 iMac - Lion
ah, nevermind on the sweep thing, it is two fingers, not one. argh.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
yea, that one really messes with me.. because it's 4 fingers on my macbook pro. :)

enjoy the new computer!

Reaction score
For iPhoto, all you have to do is use the built-in tools to crop etc. then simply DRAG the photo out of iPhoto onto your desktop. Voila, instant copy for you to do whatever with.
Good example of how working in Apple's OS is different and ultimately easier than in Windows. Relax and let the apps do the work. Also I use the desktop for files far more in Apple than I did in Windows.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.