Newbie has a question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Mac book pro,2.4 dual core I5, 4Gig ram, OS X
I am a total newbie to the new Mac Pro. Last time I have had an Apple experience with late 70s early 80s with an Apple IIe. Both the IIe and early Mac (a small rectangle with a tiny screen) did not require operating instructions, they were pretty simple. Then I switched to the darkside beginning with W95 and on up. Now I am back with a Mac Pro that I've bought myself as a late Christmas gift. I am keeping the windows separate and have no plans to run windows on the Mac.
I have had it a cupola days and would like some info that did not come in the box. I was pretty disappointed wit the Hello book and would liked to have had some more basic information, like whatever everything means and how to do simple tasks.
So I am asking for recommendations for a starter manual like Mac for Dummies or a similar title that has more than the, how to turn it on instructions. Your recommendations?
My first problem was running You Tube videos. I got a message that I needed to upgrade Adobe Flash to 10. Didn't work even though I deleted the previous version. Never did like anything Adobe did. Is there a video player similar to Media Player Classic that works well with Mac?
I understand Mac pretty much runs by itself and does not need constant fixing like W. I hope that a good "how to" manual will answer my getting started inquiries and I am looking forward to your suggestions. And yes, I read your getting started with Mac sticky. Thanks, Jim

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Welcome back to the family. I'm sure we can provide a few answers to your questions.

Although I have not tried them personally many of our members have had good things to say about Amazon.com: Mac OS X Lion: The Missing Manual (9781449397494): David Pogue: Books. If you have always been a fan of the For Dummies series there's Amazon.com: Mac OS X Lion For Dummies (For Dummies (Computer/Tech)) (9781118022054): Bob LeVitus: Books.

Before purchasing either book though give s a few of these videos a look. They cover some of the basics and may answer many of your questions Apple - Support - Mac 101

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Mac book pro,2.4 dual core I5, 4Gig ram, OS X
I did a quick review of the Mac 101 videos and that is exactly what I was looking for. I will head to Barnes tomorrow and look for the books you recommended for additional support. Thanks, Slydude.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz, Macbook 2.2ghz, eMac G4 1.07ghz, PowerMac G4 Digital Audio.
What worked for me in the past was the Teach Yourself Visually book...for OSX Lion, I recommend this one: Amazon.com: Teach Yourself VISUALLY Mac OS X Lion (Teach Yourself VISUALLY (Tech)) (9781118022412): Paul McFedries: Books

As to your other question on Youtube...a few of their videos are now HTML5, so IMO plays better and also avoids Flash. But if you are still having trouble, you can try other Youtube player like Mactubes, at: Download MacTubes for Mac - YouTube video player and downloader with iTunes-like interface. MacUpdate.com

But if you question is on video player, I like either VLC or MPlayerX. Good luck and welcome back.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.