• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Viewing digital pictures.

Reaction score
Hi,
I don't know if what I am asking is possible.
I would like to view my pictures in iPhoto on my new Smart TV. I am looking to do this wirelessly. I am told I might need an external drive to accomplish this. I would love to sit in my easy chair with my Mac Book and view pictures from iPhoto. Can this be done without buying any more equipment?
Thanks,
Bob

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Hi,
I don't know if what I am asking is possible.
I would like to view my pictures in iPhoto on my new Smart TV. I am looking to do this wirelessly. I am told I might need an external drive to accomplish this. I would love to sit in my easy chair with my Mac Book and view pictures from iPhoto. Can this be done without buying any more equipment?
Thanks,
Bob

That depends on what you already have.

As a minimum you need a video connection between your MacBook and your TV. There is a good thread on this Forum on making that connection; you may want to give it a read.
If you have an Apple Remote and Front Row (APP that was standard with OS X until Lion) you can use it to view your Photos once you have the connection to your TV. If you don't have a remote you can use Remote APP on your iPhone.

If none of the above fit your situation, then you are going to have to make some sort of investment (though probably not a lot).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
If you do decide a small investment is worth it get an Apple TV.

It'll connect to your MacBook wirelessly over wifi and steam your photos, music, videos straight onto the TV. No connecting the MacBook to the TV every time.

If you have an iPhone you can throw pictures from that onto the TV via AppleTV too.

Just a thought.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Just re-read your post . . . .

You don't give many details about your 'SmartTV' but if the TV connects to your home network and can recognise a DLNA server (most 'SmartTV's can) then you can install a DLNA server on your MacBook.

Try EyeConnect - there may be completly free solutions but it depends on your TV

OP
B
Reaction score
Hi,
I have a Samsung UN46D7000 Smart TV purchased 3 months ago. My laptop is wireless to an Apple Airport. There are imputes on the back of TV for HDMI cables. Everything passes through a receiver for the home theatre. I am not very computer or electronically savvy so Best Buy had to install everything.
Any more information would be helpful.
Thanks,
Bob

OP
B
Reaction score
Hi Mr Plow,
More information.
I don't know what DLNA is.
I have a intel core duo running Safari 5.0.6
Hope this makes sense.
Thanks,
Bob

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I google your Tv. Samsung say that it it DLNA certified. This simply means that it can understand and read files and folders over a network that conform to the DLNA Specification.
So if your Mac was running a DLNA server, like EyeConnect I mentioned above, the TV would be able to 'see' the files and folders being broadcast by EyeConnect.

So..... Install EyeConnect and run it. In EyeConnect set it up to share out your iPhoto library.
Now open up your Samsung TV manual and get reading. You need to find out how to connect it to your network and browse files.

It'll have a DLNA/folder browser section where you'll be able to set it up to access your now shared iPhoto library.

I've made it sound a bit complex but it's much like have a radio station broadcast (the eye connect DLNA server) and the TV is the receiver.

C

chas_m

Honestly, for $99 make your life simple and buy an Apple TV. EyeConnect is cheaper but by the nature of your "smart" TV will be more complex to set up and only does that one thing (which, to be fair, may be all you want).

I'd suggest taking a good look at Apple TV. It does the wireless photo thing painlessly and a whole lot more.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Honestly, for $99 make your life simple and buy an Apple TV. EyeConnect is cheaper but by the nature of your "smart" TV will be more complex to set up and only does that one thing (which, to be fair, may be all you want).

I'd suggest taking a good look at Apple TV. It does the wireless photo thing painlessly and a whole lot more.

I've got to say I have to agree. I'm a big advocate of AppleTV. I've yet, personally, to see any 'SmartTV' that's that smart.

I guess it just comes down to whether you want another box/remote in the mix.

OP
B
Reaction score
Hi Everyone that helped me,
I have decided to invest in the Apple TV after reading all of your responses. This to me looks like the easiest way and best way to stream my photos.
Thanks again,
Bob33

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.