Sanity Check $400 to $800 Budget

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I have gadget money budgeted for building my Photographic Kit and am getting to the level where I can buy something. The question is, what?

Have asked for input on some of this before, but that was when I didn't have any money and I have slept many times since then.

BACKGROUND:

My current kit is a Nikon D5000, with that I own the following lenses

18-55 VR
55-200 VR
70-300 VR
35 AFS 1.8

My accessories include:

Nikon IR Remote
SB 400
Cheap Tripod
Asstd Bags, lens cases etc

My subjects of interest (in approximately this order) are:

Landscape
Portraiture and Pets
Wildlife

What I am considering buying:
1) a Wide-angle zoom (Nikon, Sigma, Tamron or Tokina) in the approx range of 10-20
2) Nikon 16-85mm to replace my 18-55 (what I hope to gain is sharpness and wider field of view)
3) Better Tripod and mounting plates
4) Better compact camera (eg Canon G12)
5) Mirrorless Camera (Sony, Olympus or Nikon)
6) Another Flash

The biggest gain I am looking for is IQ, I want my photos to really pop! Understand some of that can be gained in post processing (another area I am just getting into) and technique is probably more important than equipment.

On the other hand (while I am trying to learn) I can buy equipment (and am bugeted for it but want to do it wisely) but I can't buy technique and experience.

Anyway, anyone who feels like commenting or offering advice -- feel free.

I guess the basic question here, is if you had $400 to as much as $800 to spend (given the background above) what would you spend it on?

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Personally - and take this with the tiniest grain of salt since I'm the most amateur of all amateurs on here - but I'd either get the wide angle lens or the tripod (or both). I've found out the hard way just how important having a real tripod is - and they aren't cheap.

Depending on what you get - you might be able to squeeze another flash in there as well for your portraiture shoots.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Of the wide angles you're discussing.. the Tokina's the best bang for the buck (it's almost as sharp as the Nikkor 14-24.. and about a grand cheaper). For portraiture, an 85mm Nikkor is brilliant @ f1.4.

Flashes? You can do what I still do (I'm cheap)... I still use old SB24's and SB26's and set them manually (they don't do iTTL, but you can pick them up under $100 and they're nice strobes)

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@Brian
I know Thom Hogan would agree with you on the Tripod. And while the rational portion of my brain listens to the arguments saying I need a better one, the gadget loving portion of my brain speaks louder. :p

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Of the wide angles you're discussing.. the Tokina's the best bang for the buck (it's almost as sharp as the Nikkor 14-24.. and about a grand cheaper). For portraiture, an 85mm Nikkor is brilliant @ f1.4.

Flashes? You can do what I still do (I'm cheap)... I still use old SB24's and SB26's and set them manually (they don't do iTTL, but you can pick them up under $100 and they're nice strobes)

Which Tokina? The 10-17, 12-24 or 11-16?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know Thom Hogan would agree with you on the Tripod. And while the rational portion of my brain listens to the arguments saying I need a better one, the gadget loving portion of my brain speaks louder. :p

Thom's completely right about tripods. That said, you can pick up a Bogen (Manfrotto) or Gitzo leg set used for a reasonable amount of money.

Personally, I want a Gitzo Mountaineer leg set with a RRS BH40 and L Plate.. but that'll about double/triple your budget :Shouting:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Which Tokina? The 10-17, 12-24 or 11-16?

Sorry, the 11-16. It's a VERY nice lens. So is the Rokinon 85, btw.. but if your body can't meter a manual lens, it won't do you much good (unless you go to a light meter that is.. which if you're doing studio strobe type work.. is WELL worth the investment!)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
Tripod, tripod, tripod.

You could be using the best lenses with the best IS tech out there and get crap with a crap tripod. Stay away from the light carbon fibre ones, the wind can vibrate them too easily. I highly recommend the manfrotto 290 series tripod with a couple different heads; either 322RC2 or 327RC2 (they are nice pistol-grip heads that support up to 12#) with a MH055M8-Q5 (photo/video head, supports up to 15.5#) as a secondary for video.

As someone who does a lot of outdoor work, my tripod is more important than anything else, especially for exposures longer than 1/60.

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Updated Potential Purchase List

What I am considering buying:
1) a Wide-angle zoom (Nikon, Sigma, Tamron or Tokina) in the approx range of 10-20

2) Nikon 16-85mm to replace my 18-55 (what I hope to gain is sharpness and wider field of view) No one so far seems to think this is a good idea

3) Better Tripod and mounting plates:
This is similar to what I currently have (mine is an older model Velbon, and the design is a little different though the weight and build appear very similar)
Velbon DF-60 Tripod W/3-Way Panhead DF60/F B&H Photo Video
Wondering if the tripod legs on my current tripod would suffice for now and I could or should just upgrade the Head

4) Better compact camera (eg Canon G12) - I just read the Preview on the Canon G1X and that looks more like my choice if I go that route. I currently have a Pana Lumix FZ28 and Canon G630

5) Mirrorless Camera (Sony, Olympus or Nikon)

6) Another Flash

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How bout this..

what kind of photography are you planning on pursuing currently?

Are we talking studio work, environmental portraits (since portraiture was mentioned), landscape, architectural etc.. That'll have a significant impact on equipment.

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How bout this..

what kind of photography are you planning on pursuing currently?

Are we talking studio work, environmental portraits (since portraiture was mentioned), landscape, architectural etc.. That'll have a significant impact on equipment.

I do zero studio work (I don't have one, and substitute a neutral wall when I have the need)

Most of my portraiture is candid, with some posed (basically building Family photo Album and also pics for Christmas Cards). Long-term I am working a photobook for my kids that will document family history with associated pics.

The rest of my photos are outdoors (anything I encounter that appeals to me). I like landscapes a lot, but if I run into people fishing or animals (or an interesting rock or building) that goes into my collection too.

I tend to take a lot of pictures of the Moon (for reasons I have never really been certain of--obviously its not going anywhere and the books and internet are filled with shots I could never duplicate).

Hope that helps

Reaction score
I was in a very similar spot, I had 600-900 bucks to spend before I went on vacation on some Camera gear. I love shooting landscape, and I decided on a sigma wide angle 10-20 lens. Honestly couldn't not be happier, i dont know how i went so long without one. Made my landscape photos just phenomenal.

my 2 cents.

Reaction score
Since you have a cheap tripod....That would be my first suggestion.

next rather than the nikon wide angle lens; have you considered a Sigma 10-20mm. It's only about $500 and a very nice lens.

I also do a lot of landscape and portraits shots.

Since you mentioned taking pix of the moon; I thought I would share some pix I have. I have a really cheap rokinin 2600mm lens. It's completely manual so pretty much worthless other than moon or extreme distant shots.

Moon 9.1 email.jpg

moon 3 email.jpg

Moon 13 email.jpg

Moon 99.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yep, with the outside work.. and moon work.. tripod.. tripod.. tripod. Then a wide, if you're doing moon.. a LONG lens too would ROCK. (I'd also include a sandbag... for the camera.. )

sorry, it's been a very long day at work. I'll likely think of something else I wanted to say as soon as I go to bed.

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@AlanSr
Nice pics

Heres one shot with my 70-300 (cropped and fairly low res but I have been using it as my Desktop background).

Moon.jpg

As far as my potential gadget purchases go, I added one other possibility to the mix last night.
Glass is obviously the biggest long term investment and right now I am limited because though I love my D5000, it lacks a focus motor.

I am strongly considering going ahead and biting the bullet and picking up a D7000 body. That blows my budget (actually just kicks my purchase down the road a few months) but would greatly increase the range of lenses available.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
you hit on a major point when it comes to cameras.

With the drive on the chipset, Video vs Still, the companies and media are "focusing" on the wrong aspect of what the greatest expense is when it comes to the SLR - The Lenses.

I have a lot of Canon L-glass. Their top of the line. I researched the lenses first, and decided on Canon's L line. I have $15k in glass. THEN I bought the bodies. The bodies will change more than the lenses, and the lenses will outlast the bodies by years.

Personally, I am holding out for a 400mm IS prime. But that is me.\

Attached: Taken a few years ago through a 600mm telescope with my D20. A happy accident while waiting for an eclipse. The image was only resized
Camera: Canon EOS 20D
Aperture Value: f/5.6
Focal Length: 600 mm
ISO: 400
Shutter Speed Value: 1/2000 sec
Date/Time: Wed 20 Feb 2008 08:26:40 PM EST

Attachments

• contrails.jpg
    contrails.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 25
OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
you hit on a major point when it comes to cameras.

With the drive on the chipset, Video vs Still, the companies and media are "focusing" on the wrong aspect of what the greatest expense is when it comes to the SLR - The Lenses.

I have a lot of Canon L-glass. Their top of the line. I researched the lenses first, and decided on Canon's L line. I have $15k in glass. THEN I bought the bodies. The bodies will change more than the lenses, and the lenses will outlast the bodies by years.

Personally, I am holding out for a 400mm IS prime. But that is me.\

Attached: Taken a few years ago through a 600mm telescope with my D20. A happy accident while waiting for an eclipse. The image was only resized
Camera: Canon EOS 20D
Aperture Value: f/5.6
Focal Length: 600 mm
ISO: 400
Shutter Speed Value: 1/2000 sec
Date/Time: Wed 20 Feb 2008 08:26:40 PM EST

Priceless Pic! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I still have to stick with my original suggestion with getting a good tripod. It will enhance your current rig more than any other single piece of equipment.

And thanks, it was -20 when we were out there for that eclipse and I went through 8 sets of batteries in the camera for 45 shots... luckily we had electricity so I could keep 2 batteries charging at all times.

Reaction score
Hey Razor, I have noticed with my photos that I was getting too much noise and movement in my photos. After starting out with the orginal digital Rebel which had too much flex in the body for a 70-200 2.8 Sigma, I started moving up my bodies and lenses, but i have noticed that I now need a full size sensor for the clarity that I want. I now only buy canon lenses because I can really tell the difference between the quality of the glass.

Seeing as you have Nikon I would stick with there top lenses. Now if you can make some prints that you can sell to make a little money to put in the Kitty... I would say be patient and save until you get that one lens or camera body you want. I saved for 2 years to get the Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS ll lens and you wouldn't believe the difference it makes. I only buy the "L" lens from Canon now. You being a landscape person you may want a Wide Angle top lens from Nikon of course a good tripod would help but since I don't use a Tripod as much I bought a Manfrotto Aluminum Tripod which works great for me. "Me" I am in a wheelchair so I don't go trekking out in the woods with out a 4 wheeler, so weight is not an issue for me but if you would be than I would look at Carbon Fiber.

Now I own Photoshop CS4 but I bought Lightroom 3 which is geared more to the photographer and I don't use PS that much any more. I don't know about Apple Aperture but I have heard it was good, but I would look a Lightroom or Aperture for software.

Now with the advent of digital, things change all the time. It will always be a bottomless pit. I am waiting for the new Canon 5D successor and looking at going to the new Mac Pro as soon as they are released. So best of wishes and always have fun with it. Always try to improve your technique.

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.