• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Losing quality when uploading!!

Reaction score
Hello, i filmed a couple of gigs the other day( a new business). I came to upload one video which is just one of the bands songs and i obviously uploaded to youtube as most people do. When i came to watch it, i had lost a lot of quality which is very disappointing seen as I'm using a professional Canon XL2 minidv camcorder, and also its no good for business!

I searched youtube videos and came across one that told me to export using quicktime (I'm using imovies'11). So i did this, it took a while to export, i started uploading it today at about 4pm. I left my computer at my dads work as our internet is terrible at home, i left there at 7:30, it was on 40% complete, i guess its still going (time is 10:30pm). I know upload speed is important and i was uploading at about 0.500 mb/s which i know is slow, but it does go higher in the middle of the night. But the point is, the file is 2.7gb!

So my question is, how can i keep the quality without the size going out of control??

Also, what sort of upload speed would be good for uploading a file size like that, if thats the sizes that its going to have to be to keep the quality? I can get 2mb upload speed with satellite broadband that I'm looking in to.

Thanks you very much for reading, and i hope you can help a very frustrated person!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
What file format is the movie in? Mpeg, avi etc?
You will always lose quality uplaoding to Youtube though, even using an HD format.
The size is decent at 2.7GB, but uploading it will take forever on that connection, though it will upload of course. I would reckon a 1mb upload connection would be plenty.

OP
I
Reaction score
What file format is the movie in? Mpeg, avi etc?
You will always lose quality uplaoding to Youtube though, even using an HD format.
The size is decent at 2.7GB, but uploading it will take forever on that connection, though it will upload of course. I would reckon a 1mb upload connection would be plenty.

Thanks! I ended up just exporting from iMovies, not exporting via quicktime, the quality was the same and then i uploaded to Vimeo with no loss at all! Thanks again

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.