So, I reformatted my mac, but I can't boot in windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.66 GHz Intel Core i7, 8 GB RAM, 500GB SATA Disk
So I reformatted my mac, but only the Mac Partition. I didn't touch the Windows partition. When I hold option when I boot, the windows hard drive doesn't come up. I changed the startup disk to Bootcamp (it looked like a folder in the startup disk prefpane). When I rebooted, a black screen came up and said "Please insert bootable drive"..

Do I have to reinstall windows? Or is there a fix?:Blushing:

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Try doing a PRAM reset. Turn the machine off, turn it on and then press and hold Command+Option+P+R. Wait for the machine to chime twice and then release. After that, see if it will allow you to select the Windows partition at startup when holding down the Option key.

OP
X
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just did that, still not working... :(

OP
X
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Does anyone have any other fixes?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
It sounds like you might have inadvertently nuked the Boot Camp partition during your clean install of OS X. When you open Disk Utility and look in the partitions tab, do you still see the Boot Camp partition?

OP
X
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yup.

ScreenShot2012-01-08at100432AM.png

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
From the screenshot you supplied, it looks like you haven't installed OS X? You also never told us which version of Windows you're running? You may have to repair the Windows boot sector with your Windows DVD or CD. Microsoft has instructions on how to do that but the instructions are different for each version.

But if you haven't reinstalled OS X yet, go ahead and reinstall and then see if you can boot to Windows.

OP
X
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
From the screenshot you supplied, it looks like you haven't installed OS X? You also never told us which version of Windows you're running? You may have to repair the Windows boot sector with your Windows DVD or CD. Microsoft has instructions on how to do that but the instructions are different for each version.

But if you haven't reinstalled OS X yet, go ahead and reinstall and then see if you can boot to Windows.

I took that screenshot from the OSX I'm running on now... I'm on my mac now.

And I'm using Windows 7. How do I repair it?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Check out this Microsoft article: LINK

Some words of caution... First make a backup of your OS X partition before starting the repair process. Keep a close eye on what the repair is doing and where it's being directed as you do not accidentally want to "repair" your OS X partition. Let us know how it goes.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.