Help this IMac is broken

K

Kermit1818

Hello,
I have a friend's Imac here that I'm trying to fix for her. I'm a PC and Windows user and I'm not sure how to fix this problem with the Imac. Someone tried to install Linux and now all it will do is boot to the Linux login and password screen. How can I format and install Mac Os 9 or X. I have the Mac Os 9 and Mac Os X cd's that say they are for EMac and the regular Mac Os X upgrade CDS. Please help me. Contact me on ICQ or MSN if you have the time to.
[email protected]
Thanks,
Dustin Thornton :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
  1. put the OS X install CD 1 in the drive
  2. hold down the power button (back right side of eMac) until the computer shutsdown
  3. press the power button to turn it on, and hold down the letter c until you see the smilie mac or apple logo appear (depends on which version of OS X)
  4. follow installation instructions. i would suggest complete erase and install option

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I can explain it better than that. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
but what more do you really need to know? maybe im hanging around too many engineers and their whole KISS system of doing things

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hopefully, he is loading 10.2 (jaguar). So he does not have to worry about 8 Gb files systems.

OP
K

Kermit1818

See the thing is.
I'm trying to fix an IMac
I have the CDS for the EMac
There is one Emac Mac OS 9
There is one Emac Mac OS X
And there is are two Mac OS X v10.2 Install CDS

I want to format and install MAC OS X

Thank You,
Dustin Thornton

OP
K

Kermit1818

Another thing.
The boot up screen says Linux Bootstrap.
1 for GNU/LINUX
c for CD ROM

When I press c the computer freezes I think. Well it doesn't do anything. It says booting from CD and then it stalls
I can't even turn it off I have to unplug it.

Thank You
Dustin Thornton

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
Whats an Imac? WHats an EMac? It's called iMac, and eMac </pet peeve>
see, dont boot into linux. put the Mac OS X CD in (not the eMac CD) and hold C until it boots into OS X.
What kind of iMac is it? the flat panel?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Which OS X CDROMs disk did you try to boot off of? If you have not tried the OS X.2 (Jaguar) disks, then try booting off of disk 1. Also how long did you wait for the booting process?

A thought occurs to me, you may have a bad CDROM drive. Do you have an external CDROM drive that you can try?

OP
K

Kermit1818

Hello,
Other bootable CDS will boot, for example the apple hardware test cd which told me it didn't support the computer.
The CDS that it stalls at are the ones that say eMac and the one that says Mac OS v10.2 Upgrade install disk 1
The install disk 2 does not say upgrade on it. When I put that in I get a scrolling serious of Default lines that seem to keep going.
Thank You,
Dustin Thornton

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
Ah. Install OS 9.

OP
H

HopperJonusFang

What are the specs of this iMac machine?
If it is the older CRT type, it simply might not be up to scratch for OS X.
Try OS 9 :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.