MSN Messenger 7.0.3, New Version But now No cam?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Processor:2.7GHz Intel Core, 4GB 1333 MHz, Mac OS X Lion, 27 in. display
Up until yesterday, my MSN messenger was working just fine, and I could use the built in camera on my Mac. but then yesterday I ran into trouble signing in. When i looked on here for help, another person had posted the same issue and the solution was to re-install the application, and clear the chat history before signing in. So I did that, but ended up with the newest version of course.

So it works fine now but apparently this version can't, or does not recognize my camera. And i have been trying to look on the net to see why, whether its a problem on my end or if its just the new version. On the Softonic site, someone commented something about the live cam feature now only being for corporate user accounts:Angry::Angry: Can anyone confirm or debunk this?

If thats the case I am so sad because MSN is the only way i can talk to my boyfriend in Turkey for the time being :( And if it is true, can anyone suggest a good alternative that can use web cams?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I can't verify what you stated one way or another regarding MSN, but it doesn't sound right. You might want to get on their forum and see what others are doing.

In the meantime if your boy friend is in Turkey (assuming in the military) he should have access to Skype. If you both use Skype your camera and his should work. Skype is free and one of the more popular ways to chat.

Here is the LINK to the OS X version.

OP
TilkiliKiz
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Processor:2.7GHz Intel Core, 4GB 1333 MHz, Mac OS X Lion, 27 in. display
Thanks chscag for the reply. Actually I am still having trouble finding anywhere on the net that says for sure what the absolute latest version is, or anything to do with changing the features available in messenger. I have gone to the several forums related to MSN Messenger, and Microsoft, but they have all been just out dated articles from 2009 and inactive forums.

One site called "ViaWindows Live" had an article saying that users were asked to upgrade from version 8.1 to 8.5 (but i got no such message request from MSN) but in 2010! Yet the newest version available from the official Microsoft messenger website is 8.0 as of December 2011. But thats the version I've been using now for the last several months. So I am completely confused now and frustrated.

I know this is all why we should switch to Skype, but I don't know yet if he will be able to use Skype or any other. He's not in the military, but right now he has limited access to computers, as in only if he can go to a friend's house or use a computer at an Internet Cafe. :(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.