iPhoto Importing Layered TIFF File

Reaction score
I have recently been converting from Windows PC's to a MacBook Pro and now an iMac. The iMac will be mainly used for photography and as a start I am trying to explore the features of iPhoto but have encountered a problem with the first image I have tried to import. It is a TIFF layered image created on my Windows PC using Photoshop. iPhoto appears to import the image but produces an image which is nearly all black but with just one part of the original image showing. The original image is very large c340MB, I have tried to flatten it but that gives me an image of c65MB but the image is imported is exactly the same as the unflattened image. If I convert the image to a JPG then the image appears correctly. I have attached the two very much smaller images in JPG format so you can see what has happened, but when I exported the TIFF file as a JPG from iPhoto the black area got converted to white.

I am completely confused can anybody give me any pointers?

Regards

ElBeardo :Smirk:

JPG.jpg

TIff-JPG.jpg

Reaction score
You'll need to use a prog that can handle Photoshop images.
You could use the GIMP (free download) to open the pictures and convert them to whatever you want to do with them elsewhere.
I've never used iPhoto, but I doubt it can handle layered Photoshop files.

Your pic has done something weird to this post as well !!!

isse

Mind you, I wouldn't recommend GIMP on a Mac for advanced editing... There are other programs.

OP
E
Reaction score
Thanks for that it was what I suspected since posting I have bitten the bullet and bought Photoshop and Lightroom for the iMac. I already know Photoshop as I have used CS3 for a number of years but this is my first encounter with Lightroom and I am still trying to get my head round it.

ElBeardo

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.