• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Help with iMovie/DVD

Reaction score
I have completed my imovie video and want to burn it to DVD so it can be watched on a television. I have shared it to Media Browser, iDVD and tried to Export it, all without success. When I attempt to play it in a DVD recorder/player all I get is the sound with no picture. I have also tried burning using VisualHub which was successful on my last 2 videos. I am new to MAC after using Windows and Pinnacle Studio for many years. I have burned 7 discs on this video so far. They all play on PC's and Play Stations.

iMAC - 3.2 GHz, 12 GB Memory. OS V 10.6.

Hope someone can help me. Thanking you in anticipation.

Sylvia Gosling

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Does the dvd play in your Mac with DVD Player?

C

chas_m

It sounds like you are burning DATA dvds and not MOVIE dvds.

What happens when you use iMovie to "share" the video to iDVD (third item from the top in the "Share" menu)?

OP
G
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply.

I have since burnt another one using VisualHub and this one plays on my MAC with DVD Player and on 2 TV's but not my main TV (only sound).

OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply.

The DVD"S ARE MAXELL DVD-R DATA/VIDEO.

When I use iMovie to share to iDVD the iDVD menu comes up on the screen. I can't remember what I did after that because I had so many attempts.

When I insert a blank disc a menu appears and I clicked ignore. Should I have changed the option from Open in Finder to IDVD?

C

chas_m

Thank you for your reply.

I have since burnt another one using VisualHub and this one plays on my MAC with DVD Player and on 2 TV's but not my main TV (only sound).

If it's working on any of your TVs (you mean DVD players attached to your TV), then you've successfully burned it as a movie DVD.

That it doesn't work with your main TV's DVD player is just an indication that that particular DVD player won't work with home-burned discs (some just won't). It might be too old for that newfangled burnt disc business. :)

C

chas_m

Thanks for your reply.

The DVD"S ARE MAXELL DVD-R DATA/VIDEO.

When I use iMovie to share to iDVD the iDVD menu comes up on the screen.

Yes, that's right. It will open with a default "menu" style and the name of your "shared" movie somewhere in the middle. You then change the menu style to one of your liking, click on the movie name to change it if desired, and test it with the "remote control" button on the bottom part of the window (which is meant to simulate how it would behave when you select the movie from a DVD player). If all works well, burn it (or save as disc image).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.