i can't delete some files that don't exist..

Reaction score
i recently copied all my pictures/videos from my external hard drive to a folder on my mac so i could reformat the hard drive to work with my mac.

i reformatted the hard drive and moved all the pictures/videos back to my external hard drive and then deleted the folder from my mac as a don't want all these pictures/videos on my laptop, but now when i open finder they are all still listed under all my files.

if i click on them it says...
e.g., The alias “SDC11152.JPG” can’t be opened because the original item can’t be found. And gives me options to delete alias, fix alias or ok to close.

when i click delete it does work it just brings the same box up again. I've tried double clicking on files but it doesnt give me the option to move to trash.

Can anyone tell me how to remove them?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Only thing I can think of is .... When you try to delete these files is your external hard disk connected ?

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
and empty the trash after deletion

OP
M
Reaction score
i had emptied trash and hard drive was not connected. but file names were still there.

i restarted the computer and they have gone now so its sorted.

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
You have to have the drive connected, move files to Trash and empty before disconnecting the drive otherwise they simply stay put. Same as with Windows.

Rebooting clears things out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.