Windows 7 OEM + Boot Camp ???

Reaction score
I've been trying to get Windows on my Mac for like a month now, and I was finally able to order a copy of Windows. It is, however, the OEM version.

On the packaging, it calls itself "Win Home Prem 7 SP1 64Bit English 1Pk DSP"

I take this to mean it is a one pack of Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bit with Service Pack 1.

Since receiving it I have been doing some research, but now I am more confused than ever. Some sites say that you may put this on your Mac and others say you may not, whether it's because of a legal issue or because "IT JUST WON'T WORK." I've read that the OEM is for System Builders, and that I could make it legal by referring to my Mac as "a new PC, since it doesn't have Windows on it yet."

So now I'm just more confused than ever, and I feel on the verge of a nervous breakdown. Haaaaa. All this because of stupid Skyrim.

I would just like to know if it is in fact possible/legal to put the Win 7 OEM on my Mac using Boot Camp, and if this differs in any way from using the retail Win 7 Full Version. (Do I need to do anything that is not mentioned in the Boot Camp Guide? The packaging mentions I need to use the OEM Preinstallation Kit....)

If someone with experience could help me through this, I'd appreciate it very much...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Not to worry. You have a full legal version of Windows 7. The only difference between your copy and my Microsoft boxed copy is that yours is tied to the one machine you install it on - that is your Mac. And, Microsoft provides no support for an OEM system builder's copy. Which basically means no phone support.

It will activate just fine and will pass the MS genuine version test. Go ahead and install it and enjoy Windows 7. Make sure you follow the Boot Camp assistant instructions closely. And, if you have a newer Mac you'll be required to download a driver image from Apple to burn to disk in order to install Windows 7 drivers.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.