HELP! Mac Newbie needs help with some software glitches

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm a new mac user, made the switch in august. was a pretty competent pc user and was comfortable with minor system issues and repairs. BUT i'm in new territory now, and i'm having some issues with my mac an have no clue where to start!

Problems I'm having:
Mail will work and load messages, but freezes moments after loading mail. The window is active, I can open and close and move the window around. Everything is brightened on the Mail app, (as in not dimmed or inactive) but, I can't click on anything. I will have to quit and then restart Mail to be able to access anything.

Safari seems to work fine most of the time, but sometimes when I open a window it will load the page and then exit the window and send me to my home screen (dashboard? i'm not sure of all the mac terminology). When I click back onto safari it seems to be fine, but its happening more and more often that it exits to the home screen unexpectedly, and i don't know if i've done something, or if theres an issue.

Sometimes, and not very often, I have a hard freeze. I can't do anything on my computer, I can move the m ouse around, but I can't click on anything, and I can't access any apps. When this happens the only solution I have found is to do a reset by holding down my power button.

Info about my system: Its a Macbook Pro 13", running 10.7.2, just updated it today (01/05), i have symantec live update installed which updates and scans regularly, i do have frost wire and bit torrent installed which i use to download music. could i have gotten a virus from one of those? i know viruses aren't prevalent on mac, but maybe i did something bad??

I'd love any help from anyone who has suggestions, I'm very mac stupid, so the simplest terms you have would be great! Thanks in advance for the help!! :) Haley

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook - OS X 10.9 - iPhone 4s - iPod - iPad
Hi,

Could be a permission issue, but as this is a new Mac I would book it into your local genius bar and get them to have a look at it and rectify what ever is causing this. As it seems to be multiple software.

Can I ask if you get the beach ball appearing frequently?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
could i have gotten a virus
No. There are no viruses that can affect Macs.

symantec live update
That, I believe is a Norton Anti Virus program? Of all the anti virus programs for Macs, Norton is the one that most people avoid like the plague. Get rid of it, and I think it will solve your problems.

A friend of mine was having similar problems to you. I found an AV app on his Mac, deleted it; problem solved.

The only time that you will need an AV program is if you are runnuing Windows on your Mac. Have a read of this:
MacRumors Forums - View Single Post - Virus curiosity

C

chas_m

I think MightyGem is *right on the money* here. Be sure to PROPERLY uninstall the Symantec (using THEIR instructions, VERY important!!) and then get back to us and let us know how the machine is behaving. My guess is things will be *dramatically* improved.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.