Is an audio interface the answer I'm looking for?

Reaction score
Hi all,
newbie here so be nice.

Bought an iMac to start recording with garageband. All was good till my bass arrived and I tried recording the same method i used for my guitar (direct with cable into 1\4 1\8 adapter to line in).

Bass recordings have no real volume whatsoever. After reading forums like this I've gathered (possibly wrongly) this is due to passive pick ups and low signal levels?

To solve this and improve the quality of my guitar recordings, from what I've read, it seems I need an audio interface or pre amp.

Only looking at spending around £100 but man is there a lot choice!!

Looked at M Audio fast track and Behringer Fca 202 (read it has no in-built pre amp though??). Also could effects pedals/units like the Line 6 pods be of any use?

Only recording for myself for fun so new to this and know little, any help be welcomed

Thanks

Reaction score
You have many choices to get your bass recorded to your Mac I'll give you one choice to get you started but I suggest you do more searching and that way you can make an informed decision on what you need to record audio to your Mac. Like I said below is just one of hundreds of choices some cheaper some more expensive. Let me know if you have any more specific questions.

here is some basic info on the unit and you can read more about it here.
PreSonus AudioBox USB 2X2 USB Recording System: Shop Pro Audio & Other Musical Instruments | Musician's Friend

The PreSonus AudioBox USB 2x2 USB recording system is an excellent solution for achieving high-quality, professional-sounding recordings no matter where you are. The AudioBox USB is a USB bus-powered audio recording interface loaded with 2 microphone/instrument inputs with 48V phantom power, 2 balanced TRS outputs, and MIDI I/O so you can stay portable without sacrificing your sound. The AudioBox USB also comes with Studio One Artist music creation and production software which has the same platform and intuitive interface as Studio One Pro but with an unlimited track count so you can start recording right out of the box.

PreSonus Audio has won numerous awards for designing quality microphone preamplifiers for all price levels. The AudioBox USB is loaded with preamps that deliver high headroom, low noise, and high gain to give you pure, full, and rich sound. Most USB recording devices operate at a 16-bit sample rate and use converters with dynamic ranges of less than 90dB which gives you a pinched and relatively small sound. The AudioBox USB, however, uses professional-grade analog to digital converters with a dynamic range of 102dB and 24-bit sample rate so that the digital conversion is big, quiet, and musical, making it one of the best sounding USB bus-powered interface on the market.

The AudioBox USB is bus-powered giving you the flexibility you need with no wall warts, line lumps, or power cables. Just plug in to a powered USB port and you are ready to record. The AudioBox USB is housed in an all-metal chassis with metal knobs able to withstand the rigors of travel and your touring adventures. Just toss the AudioBox USB in your laptop bag and mobilize your music creation and production. Whether you're recording your shows, creating a mix on the plane, or writing songs in your hotel room, the AudioBox is ready to go.

Good luck

stratguy

presonus_audiobox.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16” M1max 32/1tb and bunch of other mac/apple stuff
I've had no experience with the presonus, though you mentioned the fast track, I have the fast track ultra, and I like the 4 in capability and the pre's aren't totally terrible and relatively low noise for a cheap usb external box. Though nothing beats renting (or owning if you are flush :) ) a really really good pre.

Reaction score
I've had no experience with the presonus, though you mentioned the fast track, I have the fast track ultra, and I like the 4 in capability and the pre's aren't totally terrible and relatively low noise for a cheap usb external box. Though nothing beats renting (or owning if you are flush :) ) a really really good pre.

I agree with you how important a good mic or instrument pre is they can make the difference between just an OK project and a professional sounding mix. As far as USB and Firewire low cost audio interfaces go you would be surprised at the quality of some of the pre's built into them but you will have to spend more to get one with good sounding preamps built in. You probably would have to spend over 500.00 bucks on one to get better than average Mic/instr. pre.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16” M1max 32/1tb and bunch of other mac/apple stuff
heh, these days mixing for 128k MP3s, hardly seems worth it half the time :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.