• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

iMac screen capture

Reaction score
Some of the youtube videos i make are used to watch my screen, say for example i was showing someone how to install a software. Well i just got an iMac and im really proud of it and i love the huge screen. On my macbook pro i use to be able to use quick time but my iMacs version of quick time cant screen record and i cant update it for some odd reason.Is there a way i can use it or update it? I just wanna start recording on my bigscreen and be able to edit it with iMovie, thank you!

-Macfj

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
There's no logical reason you can't - unless your version of OSX is too old. If I recall correctly (I don't normally use QT for screen capture) QTX is the only version of quicktime that offers screen recording and QTX is only in snow leopard and newer. If you have SL or Lion you should have QTX installed and be able to use it (make sure you're running QTX and not QT7). If you have a machine with Leopard, then you need to upgrade your OS or choose a different tool...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.