• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Burning data disc

Reaction score
Best way to burn a data disc?

I am using dvd-r. I'm not sure wether to use a burn folder or the application 'burn'. I simply want to create a data disc for posterity without any loss of quality to play on both pc and mac in the future once hover boards are invented.

On the application 'burn' I am given these options
Mac (HFS+)
PC (Joilet)
Mac + PC
DVD (UDF)

and advanced options are as follows

Use file systems on the disc:
HFS+
ISO9660
Joilet
UDF
HFS Standard/Joilet (only)
Joilet 103 characters (only)

What are these? any ideas on which I should use?

OR should I simply create a burn folder in finder? will using a burn folder limit me in anyway?

also.. will the speed at which the disc is burnt effect the disc in anyway?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I use PC (Joilet) with Burn and close the session. That leaves the DVD playable on your Mac and a PC. I also use another free program which I actually like better than Burn. It's called "SimplyBurns" and is likewise free.

OP
T
Reaction score
I found this on info for burning with finder "The disc you burned uses an HFS Plus/ISO 9660 hybrid format with these file systems: HFS+, ISO-9660 with Rock Ridge, and Joliet with Rock Ridge."

Will this enable me to play on both pc and mac, how about any other operating systems? It seems that I should probably use finder to burn a data disc as the application 'burn' may limit me to just one file system unlike finder. correct?

OP
T
Reaction score
I use PC (Joilet) with Burn and close the session. That leaves the DVD playable on your Mac and a PC. I also use another free program which I actually like better than Burn. It's called "SimplyBurns" and is likewise free.

Simplyburns default file system for burning a data disc is ISO9660+joilet and HFS+. I understand this will enable use on many different operating systems?

The default file system used on the application 'burn' is mac (HFS+) would this limit the data disc for use on just mac?
On the app 'burn' there are a number of different file systems to use, I have listed them above. Would I have to toggle a number of those for use on different operating systems?

This is what finder uses to burn a data disc HFS Plus/ISO 9660 hybrid format with these file systems: HFS+, ISO-9660 with Rock Ridge, and Joliet with Rock Ridge

Which file system and application would you recommend?

C

chas_m

What the finder help was trying to tell you was "just go ahead and use Mac OS X's built-in burn capability. It works fine with any system."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 11,2 <--DAW!!!
I've had my '07 MBP for 5 years and I have yet to format/burn to a CD or DVD and have it work correctly using just Disk Utility and the burn folder. Whether it's CDR, CDRW, DVD+RW, DVD-RW discs, Fujifilm, Pengo, or Imitation brands, I still get nothing but unusable disks on OSX Leopard and now SL.
But when I switch over to Win7 on my Bootcamp partition, burning any type of disc works flawlessly. Weird...

C

chas_m

Yes, very odd. The burn folder/Disk Utility method is by default ISO 9000, so there should be no difference. You could try working with Burn (the program) and see if that helps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.