Woo Hoo, I finally got the MBP!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.4ghz, i5, 8gb 13"
Okay, I took the plunge on Friday night at the Apple Store. I am the proud new owner of a 13" 2.4 ghz i5 8gb MacBook Pro!!

So far I feel like I don't know how to do anything except get on Safari and get to my iTunes account, but it's ok, I like the exploring process.

One issue I am having is setting up my email on imail. I have a gmail account, and am unable to get it set up. I made sure my imap was allowed on gmail and I think I put everything in properly.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Happy New Year!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 21.5 2011 Stock with Time Capsule. Ipad2 Colecovision
Good Job tragerjs.

All I knew how to do was turn my Imac on when I first got it.
Since then I now know how to turn it off too :)

But seriously this forum has helped out a ton and has taught me about Timecapsule, security, Macoffice 2011 and much more. Keep reading and you will find lots of good suggestions here!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 13" 10.8 (latest)
Sorry to hijack, but what is the 2-step verification? I am using Gmail and its working but I haven't read anything about this process.

And congrats on your MPB! You're going to love it if you don't already :)

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.4ghz, i5, 8gb 13"
Okay, I got my Gmail working. I basically deleted the account I had started i Imail, and started from scratch. Now it's working beautifully!

I do have a question: I bought Quicken Essentials for Mac when I got it on Friday. Should I install it now, BEFORE they are going to migrate my PC files for me? Or should I ask them to just include those files, but not install the Quicken Essentials until I have them on the Mac?

The store is saying it's going to take awhile to do the data migration because they are so backed up with the holidays. But now I will be without both computers for up to 2 days!!!

Anyway, you guys have been great on here, thank you so much for your willingness to answer beginner questions.

Jen

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Welcome to the world of Mac tragerjs and nice to see you so happy about it all, after all 2012 is going to be the year :)
It shouldn't matter either way, when you install QE, before they they do the migration or after. Which ever suites you, and yes let them bring it all over for yu then all you have to worry about, is learning more about your Mac and installing QE on it. Good luck with it and most of enjoy it and be sure to return if you needing more help

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
You should have no problem adding GMail to Mail.

Make sure you turn OFF 2-step verification in GMail, as that won't work with email clients like Mail, Thunderbird, et al.

Turning off 2-step verification - Accounts Help

This is false. Two-step verification allows you to create application-specific passwords to get around this. I have Apple Mail set up with my Gmail this way, and it works quite splendidly.

As an added tip when setting up Gmail, their recommended settings aren't the best IMO: set your Gmail Sent folder as the Sent folder in Apple Mail (this will mean all your sent stuff will show up there, and the ones you send from Apple Mail will be in the right place when you logon via the web broswer). Do the same for drafts as well if you make heavy use of those, but be aware that Apple Mail's tendency to auto-save will result in you seeing a lot of drafts in each conversation when you're using the web browser.

C

chas_m

Discerptor:

Glad to hear it, but I was quoting DIRECTLY from the page that I linked. IOW, Google says on the page that two-step doesn't work with mail clients.

If you know different, maybe you could tell them to update the page. Cheers.

Reaction score
I have got my new MBP too, as the work computer. It is my first Mac machine gaved by the boss. The machine looks so great.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.