New switcher. My 3 month experience..

S

Strike_King

First post here. Did LOTS of research here before I switched,so I have to say this forum is a wealth of information.My experience..My first intro to Mac was a Mac Classic back in the day.Loved the "Welcome to Apple" start up message.Didn't like having to swap disks to open up an application,lol. Used it for about two years,and then went into Windows from version 3.1,right up to the XP years.Usual complaints here.Got sick and tired of virus,adware, spyware,trojans,sluggish performance etc etc..July of this summer,I picked up an iBook,right after the new revision came out.I got the last version,the 1.2 PPC.Loved it right off the bat.Was up and running out of the box in about 15 mins.AP found my wireless right away,was running great,no problems. Said to myself "Shoulda done it years ago". My main dislike with the iBook was the fact that the max res on it is 1024x768.I knew that going in,but I wanted something clearer and sharper,since I had it hooked up to a Dell 1905FP Ultra Sharp monitor. The next step,a Mac Mini.Got the newest revision that came out. The model with the stock AP/BT,1.42 etc. Right off the bat I increased the RAM to a gig,was a little nervous taking putty knives to my brand new mini,lol.I also swapped out the Combo Drive for a Pioneer DVD Burner.Hooked it up to that monitor,couldn't believe the picture. I do alot of digital photography and us Photoshop quite a bit.The PPC really surprised me at how well it handles graphics. All in all,I couldn't be happier after the switch.Seamless integration with all my peripherals (printers, digi cams,router etc). So far,very happy. My only problem is,now I think I want to get a Powerbook,lol. Thanks for all the info out here..

OP
L

lil

Welcome to the Mac world I guess!

Indeed Macs are a pleasure to use and in my 10 years of using them I wouldn't wish to use anything else, they are just so fun to use!

Carry on enjoying the Macs, I know I sure love Photoshop and Painter on the Macintosh!

Vicky

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
Welcome Back to the world of Macs.
p1148.gif

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
that is great. just think of what you could do with a G5!!!!!!!

OP
H

hangtown

Strike_King said:
My first intro to Mac was a Mac Classic back in the day.Loved the "Welcome to Apple" start up message.Didn't like having to swap disks to open up an application,lol. Used it for about two years,and then went into Windows from version 3.1,right up to the XP years.

We have almost an identical history except I'm not a switcher, I'm an "also-er". I do asp.net/sql server development and I still love my windows 2003 server and windows xp box. I really love my new mac mini as well!!

Back to memory lane, I remember it saying "Welcome to Macintosh", not "Welcome to Apple" though... ?? Anyone remember?

OP
L

lil

Yes it was Welcome to Macintosh... and here is my little trip down memory lane...

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=162568&postcount=22
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=161796&postcount=18

I remember seeing my first Mac, a IIsi booting into System 6.0.3 with that popping up after Happy Mac. Heh. My IIfx still does. And so would my Power macintosh 8500 if it had System 7.5.5 or earlier).

All my Macs including this PowerBook however boot with the Happy Mac, as per the above thread links, Imagine BootX 2 is what you need :flower:

http://static.flickr.com/21/24808703_94c17b5988_m.jpg

Vicky

OP
S

Strike_King

Oh I still have my XP box.It's been relegated to the basement billiard/poker room.This way,when all my XP loving friends and relatives come over,they can use that to check their email,play games,etc..I don't game at all,so I basically keep it there for company.

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
Strike_King said:
So far,very happy. My only problem is,now I think I want to get a Powerbook,lol.

That is a common problem.

I started out with a G4 iMac and now look at the list! Apple have made a bundle from me including 2 iPods, 2 iSights and a long list of software titles.

Amen-Moses

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.