How to delete user account in Lion?

Reaction score
I'm a Mac rookie, so my apologies. I started up my new iMac with Lion and created my user account. Then I migrated my files and settings from my old PC, which Migration Assistant put into a separate account. Worked pretty slick, but now I have two accounts, only one of which I think I want to keep (the one created when I migrated my files and settings). How to delete the other user account? I went into System Preferences, choose Users and Groups, put in my password and then unlocked it down below, and then choose the user I want to delete...but then can't see any way to delete it. Note: The account I want to delete is not, repeat not, my administrator account.

I also went through multiple searches of the forum but couldn't find any instructions for doing this in Lion (just in Snow Leopard and prior versions).

Any help would be much appreciated, and apologies if there is an obvious answer I've somehow missed!

C

chas_m

Assuming you are logged in from your OTHER account (you obviously can't delete an account you are using at the time), and that said other account is an admin-level account, then you just select the account to be deleted and push the small "minus" button at the bottom of the list of accounts.

IOW, nothing's changed from Snow Leopard in this regard.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks, chad_m! I just knew it was right there staring me in the face! Anyway, I very much appreciate the quick reply, and also the link to your essay and the various replies you've made to other posters, all of which have proved to be very useful.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.