• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Pretty urgent: does iMovie have a length limit?

Reaction score
I have been editing some raw footage in iMovie. It is currently up to one hour and ten minutes. All of a sudden it won't take any more clips. I try to drag them in and they bounce off! I am working with event files on an external disk, so space isn't the issue. The project file is on my laptop though. Anyway I was wondering if IMovie has a limit whether project file size or project minute length. Can't find anything in the help menu,plus I have a pretty good book on it. I am in iMovie 11.

Thank you so much.

Nadine

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
How full is your hard drive?

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
OP
H
Reaction score
Yes it is weird...I wouldn't be surprised if iMovie does have a limit, I am just surprised no one has mentioned it. I have a project due in two days. The total footage I want is about 75 minutes which I can pare down if I need to...but I don't want to do that, I want my footage. If there is a workaround I would be happy with that. Anyway thank you SO MUCH for getting back to me!

C

chas_m

Hang on ... are you saying the external HD has 80gbs free or your boot drive? The latter is in play even though your project is on an external.

As for time limit, no iMovie does not have a time limit on projects.

OP
H
Reaction score
Didnt figure it out...

No, I had 91 gigs free on my local hard drive, and 300 gigs on the external drive I was working off of. I put all my event footage on the external drive only, and even moved the project to the external drive eventually. (I had some footage on the laptop some on the external) That seemed to "fix" it, but then every once in a while I'd put a clip in and it just wouldn't add a transition. Maybe the clip was too small. So I would shut down and come back later and it would work. Not really a fix but I got the job done.

Do you have an opinion of how best to work in iMovie? I would like to make it so that my projects and events are all on an external 7200rpm disk by default so as not to tax my computer. But I noticed the consolidate media function only lets you consolidate it all to the hard drive!!! Weird.

Thanks,
Nadine

C

chas_m

(I had some footage on the laptop some on the external) That seemed to "fix" it, but then every once in a while I'd put a clip in and it just wouldn't add a transition. Maybe the clip was too small. So I would shut down and come back later and it would work. Not really a fix but I got the job done.

This tells me that you were, in fact, running out of temporary free space. Working with video takes ENORMOUS amounts of free space that you get back when you're done but is in use during the actual editing process. Where you put your projects is irrelevant*, iMovie *will* use your boot drive as the "scratch disk" and there's nothing you can do about it so be sure to have *lots and lots* of free space on your boot drive.

*well, irrelevant to the workflow. It's obviously relevant for longer-term storage.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (2012) 15"
File Size limits to iMovie

There isn't a time length to any iMovie I've ever made. There's a limit to file size and to how many things you want to do. For example, I tried to make a video with a bunch of still pics from iPhoto. After about 150 to 200 or so it wouldn't take any more. Or if I try to have too many effects happening in the movie it will choke and not work. My work-around for that is to do the video in pieces. Save it in highest qualify with all the effect for the first part, then import it to the next project and do more effects to the next part, etc. My biggest concern is quality since I'm importing a compressed (even at highest quality) file and then adding on to it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.