Monitor for 13 inch MBA

Reaction score
I would love a 27 inch Apple display but it's a bit rich for the budget, what other monitors would you folks suggest?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I would love a 27 inch Apple display but it's a bit rich for the budget, what other monitors would you folks suggest?

Which model 13" MacBook Air are we talking about? Apple has released 10 different 13" MacBook Air models since 2008...and the ports have changed somewhat in that time.

Thanks,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" rMBP Mid-2014 ~ iPad 4 16GB ~ iPhone 6 Plus 16GB
I'd recommend looking at Dell monitors. They've got a large selection, offering various sizes and also models that are "UltraSharp" - even though the standard ones are good as well. I've got a standard 20" and 22" and am very happy with them. I used the UltraSharps at an old job doing 3D CAD and those monitors were phenomenal. They were all used with Windows PCs, but I'm sure they'll work just as well with your MBA (with an adapter cable, of course). Before buying my iMac, Dell was certainly the best quality PC brand that I had ever experienced.

Hope this helps! Happy New Year to all!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MB Air Core i7 256GB, 2011 Mini with 8GB RAM, iPad 2, iPhone 4S, 2TB Time Capsule
I have had a very bad Dell experience in the past so I guess every review is YMMV.

Personal preference is Samsung, but I can also say that ViewSonic does some amazing stuff.

Do you want a large format wide screen? For a similar size to the Apple Display, my buy would be something along the lines of this:
Viewsonic » VA2703

Can be found for about $250

C

chas_m

I've been happy with BenQ monitors over the years, I'm sure the other brands mentioned are just as good but I always seem to find a good deal with BenQ.

My next monitor is going to be 24" or more, IPS, and LED-backlit. Nothing else will do. :)

Depending on what I end up with as my next Mac, I may go for the Thunderbolt Display. It's pricey, but there's nothing else quite like it on the market.

OP
G
Reaction score
I've been happy with BenQ monitors over the years, I'm sure the other brands mentioned are just as good but I always seem to find a good deal with BenQ.

My next monitor is going to be 24" or more, IPS, and LED-backlit. Nothing else will do. :)

Depending on what I end up with as my next Mac, I may go for the Thunderbolt Display. It's pricey, but there's nothing else quite like it on the market.

I ended 2011 by winning a $100 gift card to the Apple store, my birthday is in 2 weeks & I've asked for Apple cards as gifts, I will probably also sell some older hardware & will hopefully be able to pick up a refurb Thunderbolt display from Apple if I can be patient.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2014 i5 5k 32gb 1tb fusion, second TB display, 2014 MBA
Interesting question. With the new MBA's having just a Thunderbolt and two USB ports, how do you hook up a standard monitor? I never bothered to look but I assume that there must be an TB to VGA adapter from someone. Another question is, will the switching function work as well on a non-TB monitor? Depending on whether my clamshell is open, or was opened and closed, or not opened at all, the display knows when to come on, or off (no power button exists) and what mode to come up in. Works really well.

All the above being said, the seventh person can take my TB monitor. (My revolver only holds 6 rounds).

Seriously, though, unless you are severely constrained financially (aka, broke), it is worth the wait to save up enough to get a TB monitor. Or even a refurb unit. I still have what was once a beautiful 21 inch widescreen on my Linux box beside my Air and it now looks like a 1980's CGA box in comparison. Well, not really, but the difference, side by side, is massive.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I ended 2011 by winning a $100 gift card to the Apple store, my birthday is in 2 weeks & I've asked for Apple cards as gifts, I will probably also sell some older hardware & will hopefully be able to pick up a refurb Thunderbolt display from Apple if I can be patient.

The Apple 27" displays are REALLY awesome...but even at $849 refurbished...they are still pretty darn pricey!!!

Since you're looking for an external display for your MacBook Air...why not just purchase a nice brand new 22" monitor (Dell, HP, Acer, ViewSonic, etc.) for around $125-$150...or a used one from Craig's List for under $100?

Hey...if I could get one of those 27" Apple displays are a decent price...I would jump on it...but $849 refurbished is (YIKES) expensive!

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Interesting question. With the new MBA's having just a Thunderbolt and two USB ports, how do you hook up a standard monitor?

Read this:

Apple - Thunderbolt: Next-generation high-speed I/O technology.

Quote from the article:

"Thunderbolt I/O technology provides native support for the Apple Thunderbolt Display and Mini DisplayPort displays. It also supports DisplayPort, DVI, HDMI, and VGA displays through the use of existing adapters.

- Nick

OP
G
Reaction score
The Apple 27" displays are REALLY awesome...but even at $849 refurbished...they are still pretty darn pricey!!!

Since you're looking for an external display for your MacBook Air...why not just purchase a nice brand new 22" monitor (Dell, HP, Acer, ViewSonic, etc.) for around $125-$150...or a used one from Craig's List for under $100?

Hey...if I could get one of those 27" Apple displays are a decent price...I would jump on it...but $849 refurbished is (YIKES) expensive!

- Nick

two reasons

1. Thunderbolt

2. the 27 inch display will allow me to finally get serious about photo's and such, help me take my blog to the next level. No excuse to not create!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
This would be my recommendation as well. I have a 21.5" Dell monitor and I love it. It's good quality and it's built well for my needs. That said, I'm no artist and I don't have strict demands for colours. ;)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
two reasons

1. Thunderbolt

2. the 27 inch display will allow me to finally get serious about photo's and such, help me take my blog to the next level. No excuse to not create!

Super reasons (as long as the price tag is not an issue).

If someone is SUPER serious about photography or color accuracy/reproduction...then this is DEFINITELY the monitor to get!:)

- Nick

C

chas_m

Super reasons (as long as the price tag is not an issue).

If someone is SUPER serious about photography or color accuracy/reproduction...then this is DEFINITELY the monitor to get!:)

- Nick

I hate to be contrary, particularly about Apple products, but I'm very reliably informed by those who are far greater colour-centric graphic artists than I am that there are, in fact, better monitors than the TB display for photography and colour-accuracy purposes (I know, I'm shocked too). Of course, the pricetag on those is even higher than the TB display, so there ya go.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I hate to be contrary, particularly about Apple products, but I'm very reliably informed by those who are far greater colour-centric graphic artists than I am that there are, in fact, better monitors than the TB display for photography and colour-accuracy purposes (I know, I'm shocked too). Of course, the pricetag on those is even higher than the TB display, so there ya go.

Hey...my main point is the price tag. If there are even more expensive monitors out there for "serious" folks...just the deeper the pockets needed to purchase them!

Maybe this means that the Apple 27" display is actually "middle of the road" in terms of cost"!:)...but still too pricey for my needs!:(

For me...with the price of the 27" Apple display being close to $1000 bucks...I could buy four-five 24" displays...or six-eight 22" displays.:) But for a person "serious" about photography or video...the "great stuff" costs big bucks!

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.