• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Apple Store for Education experience...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(3,1): C2D 2.2ghz, 4g RAM, 10.7.5; iMac(12,1): 2.5ghz i5, 16gb RAM, 10.9.1; iPhone5S iOS7.04
So...my family did what I asked them this year and got me Best Buy gift cards for Christmas...so naturally I had to take a trip over to Best Buy and get a new iMac. :) The gift cards covered nearly half the after-tax cost. :D

Anyway, although I usually get Best Buy's warranty, I know that most people say AppleCare is far better, so I bought AppleCare.

Thing is, I'm in grad school, so I bought AppleCare through Apple's "Store for Education" online and got a nice discount. But what was weird is that I wasn't asked for any proof at all that I'm a student where I say I'm a student; all I had to do was choose my school from a search engine. Is this...standard for the Store for Education?? I know that registering iLife and iWork are pretty much based on the honor system, but I'd find it odd that Apple would do that for education discounts as well...

Will this come back to bite me??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
Nope. In the Apple Store they sometimes ask for student ID, but otherwise they trust you if you say you're a student. I do believe that they can ask you to provide a university email address if they want to, but I've never seen them actually do it.

OP
dauber
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(3,1): C2D 2.2ghz, 4g RAM, 10.7.5; iMac(12,1): 2.5ghz i5, 16gb RAM, 10.9.1; iPhone5S iOS7.04
Thanks for the info, elie! Of course, I have my student ID with me at all times, so should they need it, I'll be happy to provide it...

Heh...at another school in town there's actually an Apple Store on campus, but they don't allow the general public in -- to even be allowed in you have to show student or faculty ID...

Reaction score
Not in the UK! I had to call the order line (off campus) and email an image of my student ID (NUS Extra) card from my uni email address.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Heh...at another school in town there's actually an Apple Store on campus, but they don't allow the general public in -- to even be allowed in you have to show student or faculty ID...

The local university here has a similar store, discounts are steeper than they are at Apple, or Adobe, etc, etc's educational stores. Go figure.

Hrm, someone in my house should go back to school.. again :Cool:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini Server 4,1 (2.66GHz Core2Duo CPU, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD), iPhone SE 2nd gen (128GB)
all I had to do was choose my school from a search engine
Were you on your school's network? If so they will've confirmed where you're a student just by seeing that your connection was coming via its proxy.

OP
dauber
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Were you on your school's network? If so they will've confirmed where you're a student just by seeing that your connection was coming via its proxy.

Nope; I was at work. :)

Still haven't gotten it though....argghgh...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini Server 4,1 (2.66GHz Core2Duo CPU, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD), iPhone SE 2nd gen (128GB)
It's largely an honor system, as I recall.
From the Apple UK Education Store site:
Sorry, you can only access the Apple Store
for Higher Education when connected
to your university's network.

You can still order when you are off-campus
by calling 0800 039 1010 to speak to one of our Mac Experts.
Seems Apple think we Brits have no honour :Not-Amused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
From the Apple UK Education Store site:Seems Apple think we Brits have no honour :Not-Amused:

Or, potentially, British law has more requirements than US.

Most Brits I know are honourable. :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.