• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

DVD will only play Intro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac pro os x 10.5
Hi there;
I recently created a DVD which will only play the intro and then nothing...
the DVD consists of the intro, followed by the menu which consists of several movies created by imovie.
The DVD was created by iDVD part of my mac pro os x lion 10.7.2
The DVD was then created to my HDD as an image and burned to the actual DVD using the Finder "burn to disk" utility.
The DVD is Verbatim -R burned at x6.
The DVD plays fine on the mac but when played on the DVD (2 yrs old) it plays the intro only and then nothing, instead of the menu.
Any thoughts would be appreciated
Thanks
Adam

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
It looks like it could be a problem with your dvd player and the discs that you are using. Also, I always burn at the minimum speed, just incase of errors burning at the higher speeds.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac pro os x 10.5
I think I solved my own problem. I inadvertently created a VIDEO_TS folder rather then disk image. After some research on the web, I found that the video files in the VIDEO_TS folder are NOT in the order which the DVD player expects and therefore will not play properly when the VIDEO_TS folder is burned to the DVD. Creating a disk image and then burning the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS files contained in the image is the right way to go. What is confusing is that some DVD players are smart enough to play the files in the right order even if they are not in the right order on the DVD disk. What is also confusing is that for some videos the files MAY BE created in the right order in the VIDEO_TS folder by chance so the problem will not be detected.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Creating a disk image and then burning the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS files contained in the image is the right way to go.
Not really. If you've saved the iDVD Project as a disc image, then just use Disk Utility to burn that image to a dvd. It will then be a standard dvd and play without problems.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac pro os x 10.5
Agreed. The point I was making was that there is a difference between burning a VIDEO_TS folder as opposed to a disk image. Also, if you use Finder rather then the Disk Utility to burn, you need to be careful to burn the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS files in the image explicitly rather then just burning the image.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes. I was just suggesting that it is easier, if not burning directly to disc, to save as a disk image rather than _TS files, and to use Disk Image to burn it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.