5.1 surround sound for mac

Reaction score
I have a trust 5.1 surround sound system for my computer; it works perfectly with the pc. In November I change to a mac computer & I brought a usb surround sound hub but I have no joy . The sound only coming out from one speaker and not all 5 speakers. Will the Companion® 5 multimedia speaker system work on the mac. I’m a big fan of watching movies & music.

Paul

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
I have the campanion 5 and it works fine with a Mac - but it isn't true surround sound. It is quite good for small speakers - but the it doesn't live up to the Bose hype of sounding like a 5.1 channel system.

What USB system did you buy?

C

chas_m

I'm not an expert on this by any means, so take anything I say with skepticism but ... in order to get surround output from the Mac, don't you HAVE to use the built-in optical output? I would have thought so. You'd then use a proper adapter to convert the optical to analog.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.