My wife bought me an iMac!

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I am new to the forum and new to the Mac computer world. I've used an iPad and iPhone for years now though. My wife bought me a refurbished iMac G5 PowerMac processor with OS X Leopard. So far, I love it! However I have a few questions. If I see a program that's been updated for Lion, can I still download and use it? Or do I need to download an earlier version as its too "new"? Also, are there must have programs I need or think I may want? I look forward to learning the Mac so I will be advanced when I update! Thanks people!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
However I have a few questions. If I see a program that's been updated for Lion, can I still download and use it? Or do I need to download an earlier version as its too "new"?

The "newest" OS version your iMac G5 can run is OS 10.5.8. So any program that requires OS 10.6 (Snow Leopard) or Lion (10.7)...like you mentioned...is too "new". You would need a version of the program that is compatible with OS 10.5.

Also, are there must have programs I need or think I may want? I look forward to learning the Mac so I will be advanced when I update! Thanks people!

It really depends on what you do with your computer. What's a "must have" program for one person...may not be for another person. But I'll suggest a couple programs that may or may not interest you:

- Onyx: A great maintenance program for the Mac.
- NeoOffice: A free Microsoft Office like program for the Mac.

Have fun with your G5 iMac...just remember...this is approximately a 5+ year-old model computer...so it will have it's limitations.

HTH,

- Nick

C

chas_m

I'm going to assume there are PPC versions still of Flip4Mac WMV Player and Perian to help with playing all the various video formats out there, otherwise I agree with pigoo's suggestions.

G5 iMacs are from a long time back in "computer time" so there will be a lot of stuff that's not available for you, but if you double-check PPC compatibility before downloading a lot of developers still make PPC versions available (without support), and there are tons of era-appropriate software packages available for cheap on Ebay et al (be careful to buy from legit sources!).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Just responding to the thread title here.
You've got a great wife! ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini PowerPC G4 Mac OS X 10.5.8 120 GIG HDD Ethernet
Hey mate :) Welcome to the awesome world of Macs. I too am using an outdated Mac, somewhat. With 10.5.8 but with what I need to use it for, photoshop lightroom editing and photoshop manipulations, I'm right as rain. :) Suprised Photoshop Lightroom 2 runs well on this little thing. :)

I do intend to upgrade as soon I do have the funds. :) but until I'm happy exploring my machine as you will :)

And your wife is awesome! :) For buying you this :)

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! I will try and see what I really want to do on this thing. I have so many pictures and music I need to transfer over to my new computer too so thatll definitely take some time! LOL. My wife is pretty amazing. I know she appreciates those comments!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.