Novice- need advice for my old eMac

Reaction score
I'm running 10.4.11 on a desktop eMac I bought 8 years ago. Other than put OS X on it, I really haven't done much to this machine. It's been great, but it's starting to slow down. Also, with this version of OS X, I can no longer upgrade Firefox, move to iTunes Cloud, etc.

I still use this machine a lot for iTunes, iPhoto, iDVD, etc.

What can I do (if anything) to keep this machine relevant and useful? Or is it simply time for a new machine? Any advice is appreciated, although keep in mind that I'm no "techie". Thanks.

Hardware on this eMac:
Machine Name: eMac
Machine Model: PowerMac4,4
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (3.3)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 1 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 256 KB
Memory: 1 GB
Bus Speed: 133 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 4.6.4f1
Serial Number: G83223QQNLZ

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
You can update the OS to version 10.5.8 (you will need an OS 10.5 install disk). Best place to purchase one is e-Bay...$80 to $100 bucks.

This most likely will not speed up your eMac...but it will help keep it more relevant. Keep in mind though...OS 10.5 is not exactly a new OS version...since the current Mac OS is 10.7.2 (but the latest OS your eMac can run is 10.5.8).

HTH,

- Nick

C

chas_m

It is simply time for a new machine. Why keep making so much effort (and eventually, quite a bit of expense) to simply stay way behind the standard?

Modern computers should be expected to have a "useful life" of 4-5 years or so *IF* the user keeps everything up-to-date. Beyond that, you might get a little extra time but its basically time to start saving up for a new machine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.