Day one and I get a 'kernel panic'!

Reaction score
My first ever Mac (MacBook pro) and was loving it until I received what i niw know to be called a kernel panic error message.
It happened after I tried to install kaspersky anti-virus software.
Couldn't do anything with it as froze every time I restarted. Eventually found out how to do a safe reboot and uninstalled the programme.
Has anyone had a similar experience?
My new-found faith in Macs has been severely dented :-(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
8-core MacPro
djpaulbradley,

keep you faith, but please, don't install an antivirus in your Macbook. It's not needed.

Joster

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I was going to ask why you even bothered installing an AV program on your brand new Mac?

Did you download the correct version for the OSX installed on your new Macbook Pro?

OP
D
Reaction score
Re-install of AV... I really swithered wether to install or not. I did think that is was not needed. In fact I was a bit angry that the guy in shop my wife bought it in practically forced her to take it. I think I'll take it back with a few choice words!

Re OS- everything was on it went I booted it up and it did seem to download and install updates- so I assume that means its all ok?

How can I check? As I say, complete nube to Macs

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
My first ever Mac (MacBook pro) and was loving it until I received what i niw know to be called a kernel panic error message.

Is this a brand new MacBook Pro...or a used unit?

- Nick

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
It happened after I tried to install kaspersky anti-virus software.

There's your problem. Kaspersky is not considered to be that great of a product on Windows - and from what I've heard, it's even worse on the Mac, where it's far less mature. Nothing will make your Mac kernel panic faster than a poorly made AV product.

Here's uninstallation instructions:

Uninstallation of Kaspersky Anti-Virus (Mac OS X)

Couldn't do anything with it as froze every time I restarted. Eventually found out how to do a safe reboot and uninstalled the programme.
Has anyone had a similar experience?

Your faith in Mac AV productions should be dented - mostly because the current crop of products isn't particularly well made. If you feel the need to run an AV package, Intego's VirusBarrier seems to be less trouble-prone.

Lots more information available here:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/sw...-official-antivirus-malware-firewall-faq.html

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

I would say your faith in "Mac's" should not be dented...your faith in Anti-virus programs is what should be dented.

And as others have mentioned...Anti-Virus programs on a Mac really are not used very often...so without the anti-virus program install...everything on your Mac would have been fine.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
You only need an antivirus app if you run Windows on your Mac. Some will say that you should have one if you forward emails incase they contain a virus. My thinking is that any Windows user will have an AV anyway, so why bother.

C

chas_m

If it were me, I would *definitely* have some VERY strong words with the fellow who sold her that worthless ... expletive deleted ... useless ... more expletives ... garbage program.

There are NO VIRUSES for Mac. This particular "anti virus" turned out to be worse than an actual bit of malware, which in my mind makes the program ITSELF malware!

Nothing less than a full refund AND APOLOGY for strong-arm overselling!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I would never run a Mac or Linux computer with AV and I would never run a Windows computer without AV.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 21.5 2011 Stock with Time Capsule. Ipad2 Colecovision
I was very nervous about running a computer without Anti virus. So far I havent been hit with any malware or viruses and don't plan on buying any soon.

Because of the suggestions here you guys saved me 50 dollars :)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Ghost Rider, if you ever want Antivirus because of Windows files, don't pay. This is free. I have it but it's not active. Just if I feel a windows file might be infected and don't want to pass it on do I ever run it.

ClamXav

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There are NO VIRUSES for Mac.

Chas, that statement is a little disingenuous and quite frankly, I'm tired of seeing it repeated ad nauseum on this forum. No, there are no "viruses" in the truest sense of the word, but there is malware. Is it easily avoided? Yes, all it takes is a bit of common sense. But not everyone can spot a fake AV ad, nor will all people exercise that common sense if they think they are impervious to malware.

The truth is, there are some (very limited) malware threats to OS X. The seasoned Mac user will know how to avoid them, but to tell switchers that are new to the platform that they couldn't possibly have a need for an AV product does them a disservice.

Most laymen don't understand the difference between a "virus", a "trojan", adware, spyware, malware, etc. If you tell them there are no viruses, you're technically correct - but that sets an unrealistic expectation of impenetrable security, when in fact that is not the case.

I'm not about to debate semantics with you Chas, I'm just asking that if you're going to go on a rant, you keep it in mind that not everyone understands the difference. You don't have to write an essay each time the topic comes up - we have a very well written FAQ that you can point people toward, or you can just choose not to respond. But we as a community need to stop being so obtuse on this subject.

C

chas_m

Chas, that statement is a little disingenuous and quite frankly, I'm tired of seeing it repeated ad nauseum on this forum. No, there are no "viruses" in the truest sense of the word, but there is malware.

So you agree that the statement is true, but have conveniently forgotten that I myself often append that very sentiment to it.

The truth is, there some (very limited) malware threats to OS X. The seasoned Mac user will know how to avoid them, but to tell switchers that are new to the platform that they couldn't possibly have a need for an AV product does them a disservice.

Just because I don't re-summarize everything I've *ever* said about malware and AV programs (I have in fact recommended ClamXAV numerous times, go check my posts!) every time I post doesn't mean that it's okay to infer that I don't believe this because I don't mention it in a specific instance. You're also rather liberally re-interpreting what I said into something I did not, in fact, say.

Most laymen don't understand the difference between a "virus", a "trojan", adware, spyware, malware, etc.

Most laymen should learn then, don't you think? Otherwise it causes enormous amounts of confusion and fosters ignorance. That's why I prefer to be clear that there are NO viruses for the Mac. Once that's understood, then people can educate themselves about the other types of threats, including by reading many of my posts on such topics, including the stickied one linked in my signature.

I often but not ALWAYS go on to mention that malware exists and here's what to do about it. But I don't write the entire chapter and verse every time, neither do you. It's just like you leaving out that there are no Mac threats that don't involve *active user participation* in order to work in your comment on malware above -- did you do that on purpose? No, of course you didn't -- you just didn't mention it this particular time.

we have a very well written FAQ that you can point people toward

Which I do routinely. And it IS indeed very well-writtten and comes to exactly the same conclusions I routinely reiterate.

Nobody's being obtuse here -- but you've gotten off the track of this thread. The thread is about a guy whose wife was pressured into buying an unnecessary "anti-virus" product that then CAUSED problems on his system until he removed it. All my comments in this thread have been focused on that.

You've confused this discussion for a larger discussion about malware. In those sorts of threads, I've included information about malware threats and what to do about them (my recommendations generally involve education over different AV software but that's not relevant to THIS thread).

THIS discussion is about the worthlessness of poorly-written anti-virus software and what the OP should do about that. That some anti-virus software can ALSO defend against SOME types of malware is, IMHO, a separate discussion which the OP may or may not ask about and if so will get loads of useful info from you, me and others either from previous threads or expanded new comments.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So you agree that the statement is true, but have conveniently forgotten that I myself often append that very sentiment to it.

Just because I don't re-summarize everything I've *ever* said about malware and AV programs (I have in fact recommended ClamXAV numerous times, go check my posts!) every time I post doesn't mean that it's okay to infer that I don't believe this because I don't mention it in a specific instance. You're also rather liberally re-interpreting what I said into something I did not, in fact, say.

Most laymen should learn then, don't you think? Otherwise it causes enormous amounts of confusion and fosters ignorance. That's why I prefer to be clear that there are NO viruses for the Mac. Once that's understood, then people can educate themselves about the other types of threats, including by reading many of my posts on such topics, including the stickied one linked in my signature.

I often but not ALWAYS go on to mention that malware exists and here's what to do about it. But I don't write the entire chapter and verse every time, neither do you. It's just like you leaving out that there are no Mac threats that don't involve *active user participation* in order to work in your comment on malware above -- did you do that on purpose? No, of course you didn't -- you just didn't mention it this particular time.

Which I do routinely. And it IS indeed very well-writtten and comes to exactly the same conclusions I routinely reiterate.

Nobody's being obtuse here -- but you've gotten off the track of this thread. The thread is about a guy whose wife was pressured into buying an unnecessary "anti-virus" product that then CAUSED problems on his system until he removed it. All my comments in this thread have been focused on that.

You've confused this discussion for a larger discussion about malware. In those sorts of threads, I've included information about malware threats and what to do about them (my recommendations generally involve education over different AV software but that's not relevant to THIS thread).

THIS discussion is about the worthlessness of poorly-written anti-virus software and what the OP should do about that. That some anti-virus software can ALSO defend against SOME types of malware is, IMHO, a separate discussion which the OP may or may not ask about and if so will get loads of useful info from you, me and others either from previous threads or expanded new comments.

This diatribe was completely unnecessary. The correct response would have been to simply say "you're right, I'll keep that in mind for the future".

What I'm taking issue with is the dismissive statement of "there are no viruses for the Mac". In this particular case, that's where you left it as a response to the sales pitch that was forced upon the OP. The problem is, that doesn't tell the whole story. I'm simply asking that you be careful with making such a vague statement going forward, even if the question isn't specifically asked.

C

chas_m

I'm simply asking that you be careful with making such a vague statement going forward, even if the question isn't specifically asked.

Had your original message said that, I would have agreed in the first place. Instead, it inferred and attributed things to me that I didn't say. Seems to me that we could both stand to be more precise on occasion.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks all. It's a brand new mac so no chance of malware on it.
I'll be very careful (always have been) about what and where I download from.
I'm definitely going back to the shop that sold my wife the Av software. Makes it worse when he also sold a norton package for daughters laptop present when windows essentials is all she needs.
Cheers for all the advice folks. Much appreciated

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Agreed on MS Security Essentials. Works great for free. No Norton needed. Norton is a hog so avoid it like the plague.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I have been using MSE on Win 7 for a year with no issues as dtravis7 said its free and it works great.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.