question

Reaction score
Hello I am new to macs. I just got a mac pro for christmas. I use to windows but I decided to switch because I got sick of windows but there are a few things I like and want to see if there is a way to have them on mac. First is viewing a image, I like the preview functions but when I bring the image up its great, but say I am reading a manga I don't want to have to close the image and open the next one up. I want to hit the arrow key and go to the next image.

Second is on safari, I am use to firefox but I decided to learn to use safari because I hear its really good and I should learn how to use it since I am working with a mac now. The question I have is when I have a lot of tabs open and I have to hit the arrow key on the side of the tabs so I can bring up a list to chose one. I know of the apple + shift +[,]. to go through it but is there a way to have it like firefox where I just have to use my mouse to scroll through it instead.

The final question, on windows I had a folder a folder where I had to image and the name disappear so you would only know it was there when it was highlighted. I copy the folder over to the mac but it shows up. Is there a way I can do that on a mac.

Thanks for the help I am sure I will have more questions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
You didn't say if the Mac was new or used - so I am assuming it was new and has Lion. If that is wrong please correct me.

With default finder - your best bet is to use cover flow - then use the up/down arrows to switch between files. (The icon view doesn't wrap the selection so it messes up the flwo especially when trying to read something like you are.) You can keep the preview up and it should just switch files. With the new preview - the size of the picture changes with each switch to fit the picture correctly.

You could also use ctrl-tab or ctrl-shift-tab. Don't know of a mouse way of scrolling through tabs in safari. There is also an expose type add on called exposer which you may want to try.
http://www.pimpmysafari.com/items/Exposer-Safari-Extension/
Shows all open tabs in a preview for all open windows.

Are you trying to hide a folder? You can always change an image of a folder. But I don't think there is a way to change the label to do what you want. You can also preclude the name with a . - ie .hidden -> for unix systems this means hidden. You won't be able to see it with regular finder. The only way to see it is to use an extension like pathfinder or total finder, use the command line to expose it, use the go to folder command in finder to get there directly. You can also use command line to get there and open it as well.

Reaction score
How to scroll thru images in Preview seems to be hard when you first come from doing things the Windows way. When you open an image in Preview and the arrows don't seem to work it is because Preview is doing what you told it to do, View an image, if you want to scroll thru all the images in a folder tell preview to open the folder not just one image. The easiest way to scroll and browse images in a folder is to drag the folder or selected files to the dock and drop on Preview. Or you can use the Open command under Previews File menu. Once you have the folder open you will find Preview is more powerful that what you have been seeing when you just open one image with it. If you are using Lion you will see some buttons at the top of Preview near Search that will let you change how you see and browse the images. If you are use Snow Leopard the button will be on the bottom left of Preview.
By dropping multiple files on Preview you can now do Batch operations too, like Adjust the size or flip and rotate. You can easily Crop images and do Color Adjusts in Preview as well. I also use Preview to "Annotate" screen shots by adding boxes, circles, arrows and text when I need to. I try to use the features that came on my Mac when possible. I believe they were designed to work well together and I don't need to run a lot of 3rd party software to try and force my Mac to act like Windows machine.
Here is a couple more things people often over look in Preview, sometime after using their Mac for years.
If you need to take out a background on an image, you can use Preview's Instant Alpha feature to quickly and easily complete the task. The Instant Alpha tool is located in Preview's tool bar, under the Select menu.

Once you have the tool selected, click on part of the background you wish to delete and begin dragging. The red overlay that appears represents the area that can be deleted. Drag until the space is covered and let go. Press delete on your keyboard and the area will be removed.
In order to keep the image with the background deleted, you must save it as a PNG or GIF file with the alpha check box selected.

Screen Shots:
Under Previews File Menu select "Screen shots", it works perfect. You can then Annotate the file if you want, then use "Save As" and give it a name, select the location you want to save it to and change the type of file to what ever you need.

OP
E
Reaction score
thanks

Ya it is lion. Thanks for the help it will take sometime to figure out the folder part but I will try on the other stuff to figure it out.

OP
E
Reaction score
help

I got the folder where it won't show in finder again which is what I wanted to some degree. The other part I will help because I am not comfortable with the other way yet. Preview seems better than i though, I will just have to mess with it some more though. Now for a new question, I was wondering if there is a way to change the mac theme for the computer instead of this silver maybe to black or something else.

C

chas_m

Is there a way? Probably.

Should you do it? Probably not.

(not arguing with your taste, it's just that themes can be incredibly hard to remove and cause system issues so I generally don't recommend it)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 11,2 <--DAW!!!
I was wondering if there is a way to change the mac theme for the computer instead of this silver maybe to black or something else.

You can do the inverted screen by pressing Ctrl+Option+Cmd+8 on your keyboard and see your Mac invert its colours.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.