Thinking about switching to a Mac, what makes them so great?

Reaction score
I'm thinking about switching to a Mac from my Windows 7 desktop. The only thing concerning me is what can Macs do that Windows can't, other than run mac applications, and why are they better?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 21.5 2011 Stock with Time Capsule. Ipad2 Colecovision
I am a longtime PC user and just switched to Mac last month.
I'm killing myself for not doing it sooner. No viruses or malware and no virus protection to slow down your computer.

Mac also hold their value. There is a reason why Macs grown every year and the PC declines in sales.
People are getting smarter :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac i3 3.2Ghz & G5 1.8 PowerPc & Apple TV & ipod touch
i suppose the main difference is that Apple products are designed to work seamlessly together, both the software and hardware. Window based pc's are built by lots of different manufacturers and software is written to try and work on all these different machines which is why they can be more "buggy" than mac's. If you like multimedia, editing photos, video's and anything graphically based they are well worth the extra $.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MB Air Core i7 256GB, 2011 Mini with 8GB RAM, iPad 2, iPhone 4S, 2TB Time Capsule
I'm a big fan of the build quality... To me that alone is worth the premium.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OS X Version 10.9.4 MacBook Pro 15" 2.53 GHz Intel Core i5 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
The three biggest reasons for me:

1. The Mac is designed specifically for the Mac operating system.
2. The Mac operating system is designed specifically for the Mac.
3. It runs Final Cut Pro.​

C

chas_m

Everyone's posted good reasons, but the REAL secret that makes Mac so great is this (and I used to work at Apple, I know of what I speak):

The entire company -- from the CEO on down -- is incredibly passionate about making products that CUSTOMERS will absolutely LOVE. It is what gets them out of bed every morning.

It's not actually always a formula for success, and many of the factors mentioned above (like the hardware/software integration) have helped make sure that the company is successful rather than just "great stuff but no money" as many other passionate companies often end up.

Too many other companies in this industry are geared towards serving their stockholders or advertisers and they take the customer too much for granted. Apple is not one of those companies.

Thanks to people like Steve Jobs (but not BY ANY MEANS limited to just him), there is a LOT of emotion in Apple products. People can look at this stuff and SEE as well as FEEL that the people who made it poured their heart and soul into it. That it is a product of passion that sweats even the smallest, unseen details. Look at the BOX most Apple stuff comes in, fer pete's sake!

Not every idea out of Apple is a great one, or a sustainable one, and it is one of the few tech companies willing to take real chances and fall on their face once in a while, which is another part of what makes them so great actually. But enough of their ideas are genuinely, insanely great, so much so that they routinely change the way the entire world works, generally for the better.

Apple's goal isn't to be the biggest company in the world, though they may well end up there. They want to be the company that made awesome stuff, and I think they do get a lot of "fuel" out of seeing how much people use and love their stuff. Facebook employees constantly tell me much the same thing. While I think FB is a very different company, I think Zuckerberg, like Jobs, is driven by a lot more than just seeing how rich he can get.

Anyway, that's what makes Apple so awesome. It's what drives every decision -- even the ones we don't always immediately understand or gnash our teeth about, even the ones Apple ends up being wrong about. It's why the hardware and software will always be integrated, why Mac OS X is the way it is, why Apple's customer service is legendary even by the extra-picky standards of Mac users -- because even when we don't immediately see it, we sense that SOMEONE at Apple staked their reputation and livelihood on how strongly they believed they were right.

Apple is a company technologists who remember that art and beauty are what make life worth living.

Reaction score
For me:
No extra free software hooks cluttering a new device.
Hardware/software integration.
Ease of setup out of the box.
Quiet - no fan noise.
Uncluttered desk, smaller hardware footprint.
Simple networking.
Integration of devices, wirelessly.
Lion virtual desktops.
Beautiful hardware designs, great build quality.
Time Machine backups.
iCloud.
Three functional options for running Windows; at least one (Parallels) seamlessly with Apple.
And not least: ease of use, once mentally switched from Windows habits.

I miss a one-key method to get to end of a line, and OneNote, but that's about it.

OP
F
Reaction score
I am a longtime PC user and just switched to Mac last month.
I'm killing myself for not doing it sooner. No viruses or malware and no virus protection to slow down your computer.

Mac also hold their value. There is a reason why Macs grown every year and the PC declines in sales.
People are getting smarter :)

I work in a tech store that specializes in computers and computer hardware, I don't work at the "Knowledge Bar" (the stores genius bar that serves everyone free) but I have a buddy who does, he has removed viruses from multiple macs.

Ease of use isn't a problem for me, I find that most linux distros are easy to use and very secure. For me, Linux comes with applications that I use and like for free.

I am also not trying to attack the Mac, I just want to know if the hardware is really worth the money, because I could build a PC that can run NASA for $2000 (thats a hyperbole). I need a really compelling reason to switch, I want to try a Mac, but the price is steep.

OP
F
Reaction score
Everyone's posted good reasons, but the REAL secret that makes Mac so great is this (and I used to work at Apple, I know of what I speak):

The entire company -- from the CEO on down -- is incredibly passionate about making products that CUSTOMERS will absolutely LOVE. It is what gets them out of bed every morning.

It's not actually always a formula for success, and many of the factors mentioned above (like the hardware/software integration) have helped make sure that the company is successful rather than just "great stuff but no money" as many other passionate companies often end up.

Too many other companies in this industry are geared towards serving their stockholders or advertisers and they take the customer too much for granted. Apple is not one of those companies.

Thanks to people like Steve Jobs (but not BY ANY MEANS limited to just him), there is a LOT of emotion in Apple products. People can look at this stuff and SEE as well as FEEL that the people who made it poured their heart and soul into it. That it is a product of passion that sweats even the smallest, unseen details. Look at the BOX most Apple stuff comes in, fer pete's sake!

Not every idea out of Apple is a great one, or a sustainable one, and it is one of the few tech companies willing to take real chances and fall on their face once in a while, which is another part of what makes them so great actually. But enough of their ideas are genuinely, insanely great, so much so that they routinely change the way the entire world works, generally for the better.

Apple's goal isn't to be the biggest company in the world, though they may well end up there. They want to be the company that made awesome stuff, and I think they do get a lot of "fuel" out of seeing how much people use and love their stuff. Facebook employees constantly tell me much the same thing. While I think FB is a very different company, I think Zuckerberg, like Jobs, is driven by a lot more than just seeing how rich he can get.

Anyway, that's what makes Apple so awesome. It's what drives every decision -- even the ones we don't always immediately understand or gnash our teeth about, even the ones Apple ends up being wrong about. It's why the hardware and software will always be integrated, why Mac OS X is the way it is, why Apple's customer service is legendary even by the extra-picky standards of Mac users -- because even when we don't immediately see it, we sense that SOMEONE at Apple staked their reputation and livelihood on how strongly they believed they were right.

Apple is a company technologists who remember that art and beauty are what make life worth living.

I had a really great respect for Apple until recently. Steve Jobs has done so much, he basically invented the GUI for an OS. Although recently, Apple has been filing lawsuits against just about anyone and everyone they can (I may be a little biased due to my love for android). My problem with OS X being integrated into the hardware is that if something goes wrong with OS X, you have to buy a new computer, or so I have heard.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
First thing your friend is wrong. There are no TRUE VIRUS's for OSX. There were a couple of Malwares but you had to allow them to install and give them your root password. If he says otherwise, he is wrong.

It seems like you really want a PC with Windows. Might be the way to go for you especially if you are really a gamer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I work in a tech store that specializes in computers and computer hardware, I don't work at the "Knowledge Bar" (the stores genius bar that serves everyone free) but I have a buddy who does, he has removed viruses from multiple macs.

That's the first we have heard of any viruses on the mac, perhaps your buddy should write a tech article on the issue, I'm sure the rest of the world is dying to hear about the first viruses for OSX seen in the wild....

... or did he means Trojans or DNS changers?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I had a really great respect for Apple until recently. Steve Jobs has done so much, he basically invented the GUI for an OS. Although recently, Apple has been filing lawsuits against just about anyone and everyone they can (I may be a little biased due to my love for android). My problem with OS X being integrated into the hardware is that if something goes wrong with OS X, you have to buy a new computer, or so I have heard.

??????

OS X is an OS in the same manner that Windows and Linux is an OS. It isn't firmware but loads just like any other OS in general use on PCs.

Macs are PCs just like any other PC just a better build quality than usual.

And, FWIW you either misheard or misinterpreted your buddy. There are no true active Mac viruses in general circulation. There is Malware, but with reasonable care most Mac users don't have much to worry about on that end. Typically we only reccommend antivirus for Windows partitions or if you are on a network with Windows PCs so you don't pass along infections (even though they don't bother your machine).

EDIT: Man! I am really going to have to learn to type faster. Three replies between me starting to respond and finally posting. ;)

C

chas_m

I have a buddy who does, he has removed viruses from multiple macs.

He's removed WINDOWS viruses from Macs. There aren't any Mac viruses. As in NONE.

But please, PM me with his email, I'd LOVE for him to send me these "Mac viruses" you claim. He'll be a very rich man if he's not lying, I promise.

C

chas_m

My problem with OS X being integrated into the hardware is that if something goes wrong with OS X, you have to buy a new computer, or so I have heard.

Uh, no.

Take the word of people who actually own Macs (everyone here) over BS you have "heard" somewhere.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Which one?
Macs are what computers are supposed to be. You turn them on and you do something useful with them. The tight integration between the operating system and the hardware means an highly optimized experience. Plus, the quality of the build is amazing. I have a PowerMac 7200 that I was able to upgrade up until Apple switched to Intel. I purchased that PowerMac 7200 in 1995 and it was in heavy use until 2005. Find a Windows-based PC that can boast about that!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
1.) Build quality
2.) OSX and the fact the OS and the computer compliment each other
3.) Plug and Play no need for an install disk as long as the equipment is not to old.
4.) The ease of all iDevices to seamlessly work together.
5.) No need for an AV program ( I surfed the web without fear for years)
6.) For the most part longer life expectancy.
7.) It doesn't feel like it has to micromanage any one procedure.
8.) No need to ponder which version of the OS you need when a new one comes out it is one version to do all.
9.) Time Machine and wireless backup.
10.) A very nice App Store thats customer rated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac i7/3.4GHz, 12GB RAM, OSX 10.7.2
For me, after 25 years of installing, supporting and working with Microsoft OS's and software my love of computing died many years ago and I hardly used my home PC.
I decided to buy an iMac in October just to try something different and my old love of computing returned. I haven't been this excited since I unboxed my Commodore 64 and now spend time (to the annoyance of my wife) just playing on the Mac to fully learn OSX which is something I haven't done on a PC in a long time.
I find the whole Mac user experience is so much more enjoyable and I'm now a committed Apple fan including iMac, iPad and iPhone.
One final thing, my job demands that I have access to a PC at home and Parallels sorts this perfectly, but if OSX hadn't worked for me I'd have still kept the iMac and just run Windows 7 on it in Boot Camp because the Apple iMac hardware is a piece of art on my desk, even when running Windows :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini
I had to go back to my Win machine to fix my friends PC before I could do anything, I had to dl updates for my windows (alot), fight with the pc in order to get anything done, install updates, update virus scanner and other progs..

I always end up with a migraine fighting with my pc to do work on it! I can't work on it while I have a migraine. I don't fight with my mac, I can work on it with a migraine, in fact some headaches even go away when I use my mac, while when working on my win machine they tend to get worse (wow do you think it could be the stress??? lol)

If I were to compare the length of waiting for updates to dl and install, I spend more time waiting for my win machine (cumulatively) then I did with a full combo update dling and installing on 2 diff macs! Long story short: the mac is shorter ;) my work is more productive, dls less, more snappy, faster (no bloating with virus scanner/firewall etc) and most of the things I had to find and dl on windows are included on a mac and work better, do more. I didn't need to dl as much extra software (to make some software work), to clean, protect etc. which means more space for me on hd, less wasted time etc. I am also don't delete things as much by mistake, nor do I need to go looking around for so many orphan files etc as I did with windows..

Even installing Snow Leopard from scratch took less time (including cumulative updates) then just starting up xp after not using it for about a year...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.