My computer just sent out e-mails on it's own

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4
As soon as I found out, I changed the password to my Comcast account and downloaded/scanned my system with ClamXav which got no results. Is there anything else I can do to ensure that this doesn't happen again?

I just set up a new Mac mini that I got for Christmas and turned off the firewall(on both computers, but not the AE) so that I could use my drive on my iMac to input new stuff on the mini.Could this have happened then or is it unrelated?

The email started "How do you do!" and linked a portadigiano.net address. Does anybody have a clue what kind of malware caused this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Changing your password was the best thing to do. ClamX won't help in that instance.

Someone hijacked your e-mail account. There might not be any malware on your system that is responsible. Just keep your eye on it for awhile.

C

chas_m

No, your computer is not sending out emails on its own (if it's a Mac). That's impossible (on a Mac).

Someone guessed your Comcast password, that's all. Change it.

Firewalls had nothing to do with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac OSX Monteray 12.5
Searched out this post after posting a similar problem of my own experienced last week. If you have the time to read it that would be super. Not sure I can go through another session like that one as I wanted to dig a hole and jump in.
Mortified...

C

chas_m

Same answer applies. It's probably not coming from your Mac, much more likely someone hijacked your e-mail account at the ISP by guessing your password.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac OSX Monteray 12.5
Thank you - guessing I will have to learn Klingon since even the last password was a doozie! :))
TTFN

jif

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27' iMac i5 (2010)  iPad2  iPhone5  iPhone 4S  Apple TV2  iP
skynet has begun....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.