Xcode 4.2 - Absolute Beginner

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.4GHz iPhone 3GS
Hi everyone,

I recently got a Macbook and I was thinking of developing iPhone apps. The problem is that I've never done any serious programming...like ever!

I've played around a little bit with some Windows programming e.g. visual basic, and I know a bit about developing websites eg html/css/java etc ( I used w3schools to learn and develop a website).

But that was all just out of interest to see get a taster of what programming is like. Now I have a Mac I'm serious about learning C, and objective-C and making an iPhone app.

Now, dont get me wrong, I'm not just another person who downloaded Xcode and thought that making an app is an easy way to make money, I know it isn't, that it's going to take me hundreds of hours to learn it and many more to develop an app.

Anyway, I went over to the iOS Dev Centre to do some reading, but it usually presumes that the reader has had programming experience, and in particular with C.

So to get started, for example, I need a good source to learn about C. After that Objective-C, I guess? After that I need to understand what Cocoa is. etc and after all of that I need to learn how to use Xcode 4.2. (I understand that Apple implemented some new features in 4.2).

Does anyone know of a good learning path for learning how to develop iPhone apps then? What topics must I learn in order to gain the knowledge to use Xcode properly?

Or maybe someone could recommend a good website which highlights how to go from being a complete beginner to being able to develop some decent apps?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I suppose another way to ask it is: If you are currently an app developer, how did you get to the stage you are at now, starting from when you were an absolute beginner?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Two really good places to start.
Cocoa Dev Central
iOS Dev Center - Apple Developer

Also I wouldn't just start with C. You're better off trying to understand object oriented programming. It is a different way of thinking about the problem - and learning a function language like C may muddy the waters for what you are trying to do.

I like this guy and his books. He puts up videos to complement what he writes in his books.
Rory Lewis, KDD, iPhone 5,iPad 2, Xcode 4 Apps, Video Tutorials, Xcode 4 iOS video tutorials for beginners, Programming Objective-C in XCode 4 ? iPhone 5 iOS
I bought the iPhone and iPad app for absolute beginners book. Quite a good place to start as well.

There is also a free stanford course on iTunes
Free Stanford course on developing iPhone software
Stanford on iTunes U

As you said - if you haven't ever written anything you will have a long road ahead - but it is fun to know how to program. (For some value of fun)

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
+1 to IvanLasston's recommendation that you skip C, since in learning Objective-C you will learn C automatically, but also the OOP aspects of Obj-C which are more important..

I've used the following which is a great way to start with XCode, the Cocoa Touch framework and programming..
Amazon.com: Beginning iPhone Development: Exploring the iPhone SDK (9781430216261): Dave Mark, Jeff LaMarche: Books

It also helps you have Amazon.com: Learn Objective-C on the Mac (Learn Series) (9781430218159): Mark Dalrymple, Scott Knaster: Books available for specific Obj-C stuff..

Good luck..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MB Air Core i7 256GB, 2011 Mini with 8GB RAM, iPad 2, iPhone 4S, 2TB Time Capsule
Check and see if your local library has the following book:

Objective-C for Absolute Beginners: iPhone, iPad and Mac Programming Made Easy

Reaction score
OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for all the replies.

For now I've bought Objective-C For Absolute Beginners (Second Edition), and it's been good so far!

I'll consider getting the other books as I progress and learn if programming with Objective-C is definitely for me.

(I bought that book first because I AM an absolute beginner, and also because t was on offer!)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.